PDA

View Full Version : Langtang info request!

robshak
2nd September 2007, 03:10 AM
Hi all. I am planning to go to Langtang region in end Sep for approx 9 days. Those who have been to that area, could you please give me some ideas on the following queries I have:

1. Is it essential to carry camping eqpt to cross Ganja La or you can do it in a long day trek?

2. Same with Gosain Kunda lake pass, possible within a day?

3. How are the tea houses facilities in other areas?

4. How realistic is it to do a loop from Dhunche to Langtang Village then Ganja La pass to Tharke village and then through Gosain Kunda lake back to Dhunche?

I would be immensely grateful for any information you can provide. I am awaiting to go to Kathmandu to buy a proper guide book and until then, any info will help me a lot to do my planning!!! Thanks for looking!!!

Per
7th September 2007, 12:18 AM
1. Is it essential to carry camping eqpt to cross Ganja La or you can do it in a long day trek?

No you can not do it in a long day. It is very far on the other side. You follow a high ridge for a day and a half. After crossing the pass which takes a day. There are hardly any people, and route finding can be problematical. Sometimes there are kharkas up there but you cannot depend on it.

4. How realistic is it to do a loop from Dhunche to Langtang Village then Ganja La pass to Tharke village and then through Gosain Kunda lake back to Dhunche?

It is utterly realistic if you have the time and the gear. I have not done the Gossaikund, but Ganja La should not be underestimated. It is high, long bits are on boulders, and there are few if any people. You have to be well equiped to do it safely, i.e., have a good tent, stove and food.

Unless you arrive super acclimatized, from a climb of Everest or the like, 9 days seems very short to me.

There are some photos from our trek here http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Langtang/Langtang82.html