PDA

View Full Version : Handeling Money In Nepal

TTKAUAI
30th August 2007, 09:55 AM
Aloha Nepal Trekking Veterens!
Arriving First Time In October,seeking Advice And Knowledge.

1 What Is A Wiser Option,bringing Travelers Checks To Exchange Or Using The Atm For Funds?

2 Are There Any Safety Deposit Box For Valuables That Can Be Trusted And If So What Is A Estimate Of Cost?

3 What Are Options For Securing Rupees On Trek And Does Your Passport Have To Remain With You While On Trek?

Mahalo For All Your Help, Please Add Anything You Think Will Make My Trek More Secure And Enjoyable.
Aloha Teddy

Escher
30th August 2007, 01:16 PM
1 What Is A Wiser Option,bringing Travelers Checks To Exchange Or Using The Atm For Funds?

>> I prefer drawing out from the ATM's. There are plenty in Kathmandu. Never bothered with travellers cheques.

2 Are There Any Safety Deposit Box For Valuables That Can Be Trusted And If So What Is A Estimate Of Cost?

>> Never had to use a safety deposit box. I carry my valuables with me (money and camera), around KTM and on trek. Non valuable stuff that you don't want to take trekking can be left at pretty much any hotel you might stay in as long as you go back to stay there after your trek. Just ask att the place you are staying. Everyone does it.

3 What Are Options For Securing Rupees On Trek And Does Your Passport Have To Remain With You While On Trek?

>> I carry my main wadge of money is a few different places in my pack and have cash handy to pay for things during the day. I keep an eye on my bag and I don't leave my money or wallet lying around. I take a combination lock to lock my lodge room door. Never had a problem with theft or indeed heard anyone complain about it when tea house trekking in Nepal. Make sure you keep your pack with you when travelling by bus however.

Have a read of the tips in this section http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4050 , a lot of the distilled knowledge of this site is in there.

Sharon
1st September 2007, 02:03 AM
I always take a few travellers cheques. While I always withdraw from the ATM's I have been there and had all the ATM's out of service in Thamel/ Kathmandu.

Most hotels have a safefty box and I leave credit cards etc in there while trekking.

I always have a money belt and a few hidden spots |(in clothes/ pack) while trekking. I have either taken my passport or taken a photo copy with me. If I fly to the trek I typically take the passport.

yakshaver
1st September 2007, 01:40 PM
I agree with Sharon's excellent advice.

I take 7-8 hundred USD or Euro with me, and change as necessary in KTM or Pokhara. If I need more money, I just get rupees out from the ATM in Pokhara or Thamel. I hear that Namche Bazaar has ATM facility now, but am not sure, as my last trip there was 2004.

On trek you need rupees, and if you calculate spending at about 25 USD per day (food and accomodation), plus get 2-3000 rupees more for taxi at the end of the trek if necessary - that's about my budget for on trek. If you want to hire a guide or porter on trek, you need extra rupees for that.

Always carry your pasport with you. Never leave it with anyone for any reason. I guess this is my attitude for travelling anywhere, not just Nepal. For example if you need to make a "quick exit" from some country because you've done something or other, it pays to have it with you at all times. Enough said.

If you talk about valuables in terms of extra luggage (as different to diamonds, wedding rings, substance sachets, etc), then all hotels in Thamel or Pokhara where you'll stay, will safely deposit your locked suitcase of duffel bag in their deposit room, and you can collect your stuff at the end of your trek.

Sharon
1st September 2007, 10:44 PM
I did cash travellers cheques in Namchee at an excellent rate.

Weka
2nd September 2007, 12:08 AM
Aloha Nepal

Kia Ora.
As said so eloquently above but ...
In my experience of travel, money has two roles. To buy goods and services and to buy you out of difficult situations, i.e. baksheesh.

In both cases, as a general rule, I go for American Express American dollar travelers cheques, American dollars cash, and enough local currency to get you by.
Should it all go pear-shaped, the Yankee dollar will dig you out quicker than anything else. TC's can, in some countries, be traded on the black market but in these cases the type of TC is important (eg Syria, Afghanistan when I was there).

If you need to jack up boarder guards, US dollar cash always talks loudest - or at least will always talk!

If you get totally rolled, TC's can be got back very smartly from a major city.
As said, though, Nepal is one of the safer places - though I still take TC's.

I would never rely on there being an ATM or enough power or battery-life to power one :-)
Have a great trip. I'm jealous.