PDA

View Full Version : Nepal, safe, safety, is nepal safe?, Maoist, Teraiforum, political, natural & His....

Mountainguide
21st July 2007, 07:09 AM
Maoist insurgency ends in Nepal (Nov. 27, 2006)

As the landmark event, the Seven Party Alliance (SPA) government and the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) signed the much-awaited comprehensive peace accord, making an end to the decade long armed conflict in Nepal. The signing cerremony was held at the Birendra International Convention Centre (BICC) on November 21, 2006.

The accord was signed by Prime Minister Mr. Girija Prasad Koirala and Chairman of the CPN (Maoist) Mr. Prachanda on behlaf of the SPA and the CPN (Maoist) respectively.

Highlights of the newly signed peace accord include:

Formal end of the Maoists' People's War that began in 1996.
No political rights to King; his property to be nationalised underv public trusts
Implementation of all previous agreements reached betweenv the government and Maoists.
Maoists' People's Liberation Army and Nepalv Army and their arms to be managed as per the earlier agreement reached between the government and the CPN (Maoist).
No attacks or any kind of violent andv offensive activities from either side; no new recruitments in armed forces of both sides.
OHCHR-Nepal to monitor human rights situation, and UN Team to monitor and supervise PLA cantonments and Nepal Army barracks.
Fully commitment to upholding human rights, all international human rights laws, civil liberties.
Maoists' parallel administration (People's governments, People's Courts) across the country to be scrapped.
National Peace andv Rehabilitation Commission, Truth Commission, and a high-level Commission for State Restructuring to be formed.
Feudal land-ownership system to end,v Scientific land distribution system to be adopted.
Strong punitive policy against corruption.
Property earned illegally by anybody throughv corruption to be confiscated.
Possession, display and use of arms andv weapons by anybody a punishable crime.
Both government and Maoists tov assist each other to maintain law peace, law and order.
Respectful rehabilitation and social integration of the people displaced during the insurgency.
Meanwhile, the UN, US, India and others have welcomed the announcement of the comprehensive peace accord.

The slacked economic sector, especially tourism, is expected to revive with the formal ending of the internal conflict.

mountainguide
________
Model B (1932) (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Model_B_(1932))

yakshaver
21st July 2007, 01:30 PM
Mountainguide,

I appreciate your input with the political/safety updates, and I am sure other do as well.

I the spirit of these pages, I have removed your company affiliations. You adding them there after each post, smacks of advertising by stealth. There are appropriate places to advertise, if you look down the main menu.

Please keep sending updates, but as an individual, not as a representative of some trekking company.

Regards,