PDA

View Full Version : 7 Good Reasons For Travel Insurance

kikkok
18th May 2007, 09:11 PM
For thousands of years, risks have been shared during times of tragedy. The first formal insurance company, Lloyd's of London, was formed in 1769 and their principal concept remains today - to gather the premiums of clients as a pool of resources to return to clients who experience unexpected but covered events. So, that is the secret really, plan for the unexpected and make sure you're covered, especially when you're travelling. Whether your trip is a quick one or a round the world cruise, there are many good reasons for travel insurance. Here are just 7: Read more http://travelbackpacker.blogspot.com

Oli
19th May 2007, 12:48 AM
plan for the unexpected and make sure you're covered, especially when you're travelling

I agree, decent insurance cover is important. In the event of a disaster it can save you from financial ruin and might even save your life. The reasons on your blog are essentially sound but I have a couple of comments that would be valuable consideration our trekking readers heading for Nepal....

- flight cancellations and unexpected hotels bills may be covered by the airline without recourse to you personal travel insurance, maybe
- pre-exisiting medical conditions can be a get-out clause for the insurers, it is important to declare them in advance
- lost travellers cheques? Check with your bank (before you leave) and ask about their international emergency services. My bank gave me a couple of hotline numbers (who will accept reverse charges international calls!) and promises of assistance.
- emergency evacuation, by helicopter from high altitudes? Cheap policies intended for package holidays around Europe (or the like) may think that goes beyond what is 'normal'. Make sure that your insurers understand where you are going and what that entails.
- in my limited experience, polices good for trekking will typically include cover for white water rafting but not cover bungee jumping. Remember this when your are heading for the Last Resort (very near the border on the road to Lhasa, several hours drive from Kathmandu;) )
- be aware that your countries Foreign Office Travel Advisories are often included in conditions for insurance. If you go on holiday to a country or district that they say you should "avoid unnecessary visits" then you may have no insurance cover whatsoever.