PDA

View Full Version : Expenses/Safety for Annapurna Circuit

Scott
31st August 2001, 02:04 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate of cost per day for the Annapurna Circuit trek. Also I have concerned family and friends inquiring about altitude sickness (AMS), how great are the risks? What should I expect to experience in regards to AMS and has anyone had first hand experience?

Regards,

Scott

Scott
31st August 2001, 05:09 AM
I appreciate the quick response Sebastien!

Cheers,

Scott

Andrees
31st August 2001, 03:58 PM
Scott,
I was spending around 15-20 $ a day. But have allways some extra money with you, its really awfull when you are running out of money in the mountains. In the beginning its very cheep, but as soon that you go above 3000 m things are getting more expensive. If you have a porter, count about 10-12 & a day. You dont really need a porter, but´s verry nice to have one. you definitively dont need a guide.
Mountain sicknes is a potentially deathly problem wich should not be the goal of your hollydays. But your awarnes is allready the right step to have no problems. The most important thing is to allow you enough time for acclimatisation and to know the symptoms an the danger.
A good way would be to take the upper way from Pisang by Gyaru and Ngwal ( 1 extra day) with wonderfull views or have a side trip to tilicho lake (count 3 extra days). The book Trecking in the nepal himalayas from Lonely planet and trecking aroung annapurna from Brez...(some complicated polish name, I guess) have excellent chapters about health and AMS).
Have also a look to http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/AMS-medical.html,
when you go up slow enough, you will probably have no problems at all, but if they appear, dont hesitate to go back and down very quickly. Its just a reason to return to this lovely country a try again. You should also buy in Kathmand a strip Diamox and for emergencys a strip of Dexamethasone ( it cost less than 1$!). The later can help you to go down on you own feeds or survive the crucial night. I gave it twice to trekker fellowers who where badly sick and could not walk anymore and both recovered very fast. I crossed myself 4 times thorong la and allways enyojed every step, so I wish you good luck and pleasure. Nepal is just a wonderfull country! You might look already at some pictures in my side www.nepal-dia.de
regards Andrées

Scott
1st September 2001, 04:30 AM
Thank-you very much Andrees! Any information I can get is invaluable to putting my loved ones at ease.

Regards,

Scott

S.D
2nd September 2001, 10:53 PM
Message to trekkers /adventurers

I would strongly suggest that you use a Nepalese government license holder Nepalese trekking guide ---ideally the man of the mountains---- the Sherpa. Having a guide with you makes a big difference to your trip---- you can learn more about the culture,the people and the country. It doesn’t make any difference with high altitude even you have been 100 times to the Thorung La pass. If you would like to go trekking in the Nepalese mountains/foot hills,it is worth dealing with a real Nepalese/Sherpa guide. Some of the trekkers I have met without a guide on trek were having altitude &all sorts of other problems, and I had to rescue & help them, otherwise they would have died.

Have a wonderful time in Nepal.

S.D
2nd September 2001, 10:54 PM
Message to trekkers /adventurers

I would strongly suggest that you use a Nepalese government license holder Nepalese trekking guide ---ideally the man of the mountains---- the Sherpa. Having a guide with you makes a big difference to your trip---- you can learn more about the culture,the people and the country. It doesn’t make any difference with high altitude even you have been 100 times to the Thorung La pass. If you would like to go trekking in the Nepalese mountains/foot hills,it is worth dealing with a real Nepalese/Sherpa guide. Some of the trekkers I have met without a guide on trek were having altitude &all sorts of other problems, and I had to rescue & help them, otherwise they would have died.

Have a wonderful time in Nepal.

Shiva
7th September 2001, 06:55 PM
Hi,
This is a man from Himalayan writing from Nepal in this golden book.Cost depends how you like to make your trek and enjoy these wonderful nature of fascinating country.It depends also number of pupils trekking together,prefering to stay in lodge or in camping and so on.....For AMS,there is some risk however.Lose of appetite,little fever and slightly headache,disorder of stomac,difficult to make respiration,deasy feeling are some of the symtom of sickness.Drink a lot of non alcoholic liquids during your travelling,eat sufficiently,move slowely,speak shortly and quitely may help you to acclimatize your body with altitude.You have to totally stop smoking incase if you are. Prevention is the better than cure.Consult your doctor before going to high altitude and be sure of there is no any blood deases,lungs or heart problem. Bring your travelling insurence which could cover all accident,resque helicopter and medicines.You need not to be hurry while going up so try to make your tour flexibility.For some more information,in french,consult<http://www.portesaventure.com>.Hope it will assist you more.
Your reply of best holiday in Nepal gives us pleasure.
Ours Regards,

Shiva

Shiva
7th September 2001, 06:55 PM
Hi,
This is a man from Himalayan writing from Nepal in this golden book.Cost depends how you like to make your trek and enjoy these wonderful nature of fascinating country.It depends also number of pupils trekking together,prefering to stay in lodge or in camping and so on.....For AMS,there is some risk however.Lose of appetite,little fever and slightly headache,disorder of stomac,difficult to make respiration,deasy feeling are some of the symtom of sickness.Drink a lot of non alcoholic liquids during your travelling,eat sufficiently,move slowely,speak shortly and quitely may help you to acclimatize your body with altitude.You have to totally stop smoking incase if you are. Prevention is the better than cure.Consult your doctor before going to high altitude and be sure of there is no any blood deases,lungs or heart problem. Bring your travelling insurence which could cover all accident,resque helicopter and medicines.You need not to be hurry while going up so try to make your tour flexibility.For some more information,in french,consult<http://www.portesaventure.com>.Hope it will assist you more.
Your reply of best holiday in Nepal gives us pleasure.
Ours Regards,

Shiva