PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Spaceman347
10th January 2007, 01:40 PM
Every now and then there is a post about insurance. I though that I would post this as I found a good option for those taking on a trekking peak or any other climbing activities.

http://www.ihi.com

They don't exclude "dangerous activities" (climbing) like most insurance companies and you can get single trip or annual insurance for what seems to me to be quite a reasonable price.

NOTE: It's only medical/evacuation insurance and doesn't cover lost luggage or trip cancellation so you'd probably need to take out another policy to cover that, however IHI are the only option that I have found that will cover you whilst climbing other than some national alpine clubs (BMC, NZAC etc). To get insurance from BMC you must be a UK resident, same for NZAC - you must be a NZ resident.

peteris
10th January 2007, 09:37 PM
I use their service for already two years :) I heard there is also option for luggage. I hadn't problems in trips so I cannot say more.

Peteris

Cosmo
11th January 2007, 10:11 AM
For those on this forum from Australia, I had "free travel insurance" after I brought my airtickets and some hotel reservations in Bangkok and India on the way to Nepal using my westpac gold mastercard a couple of years ago

I'd been worried about not having an actual policy but decided to risk it due to the large premium for normal insurance for an 8 week trip. 3 weeks before departure we had to cancel due to family illness.
I filled in the forms and sent the doctors letter that was required and without one followup letter or any phone calls I received a cheque in the mail for just under $5000AU!

Thought this worth posting incase anyone was tossing up on using their credit card insurance option - It was fine for us. People could then take out the medi vac insurance as talked about here and be fully covered.

yakshaver
15th January 2007, 01:35 AM
Yes, Westpac gold is covered by Zurich Insurrance. Had to claim from them once, some years ago and did not have a problem with the payout.