View Full Version : Insurance

10th January 2007, 02:40 PM
Every now and then there is a post about insurance. I though that I would post this as I found a good option for those taking on a trekking peak or any other climbing activities.

They don't exclude "dangerous activities" (climbing) like most insurance companies and you can get single trip or annual insurance for what seems to me to be quite a reasonable price.

NOTE: It's only medical/evacuation insurance and doesn't cover lost luggage or trip cancellation so you'd probably need to take out another policy to cover that, however IHI are the only option that I have found that will cover you whilst climbing other than some national alpine clubs (BMC, NZAC etc). To get insurance from BMC you must be a UK resident, same for NZAC - you must be a NZ resident.

10th January 2007, 10:37 PM
I use their service for already two years :) I heard there is also option for luggage. I hadn't problems in trips so I cannot say more.

11th January 2007, 11:11 AM
For those on this forum from Australia, I had "free travel insurance" after I brought my airtickets and some hotel reservations in Bangkok and India on the way to Nepal using my westpac gold mastercard a couple of years ago

I'd been worried about not having an actual policy but decided to risk it due to the large premium for normal insurance for an 8 week trip. 3 weeks before departure we had to cancel due to family illness.
I filled in the forms and sent the doctors letter that was required and without one followup letter or any phone calls I received a cheque in the mail for just under $5000AU!

Thought this worth posting incase anyone was tossing up on using their credit card insurance option - It was fine for us. People could then take out the medi vac insurance as talked about here and be fully covered.

15th January 2007, 02:35 AM
Yes, Westpac gold is covered by Zurich Insurrance. Had to claim from them once, some years ago and did not have a problem with the payout.