PDA

View Full Version : Availability of flights from KTM to Lukla

stevenLA
13th October 2006, 11:35 PM
Hello,

I'm arriving to KTM around Nov 22-23rd and will then fly on to Lukla to begin the hike to EBC. I had a few questions about the flight to Lukla:

1) How easy is it to book a flight once I get to KTM? Is availability generally ok in late Nov?
2) Are the flights generally on time?
3) If I should book KTM->LUKLA in advance, what's the best way to do that?

Thanks everyone!

Steven

Oli
14th October 2006, 01:02 AM
Hi Steve,

1) easy, just ask any of the travel or trekking agents, or the guys from your hotel. Even the taxi drivers and rickshaw guys would be happy to introduce you to their brother who is a travel agent. You should be able to get a seat or two at a couple of days notice, even in peak season.
2) all depends on the weather. You might have to wait for an hour or two for the morning fog to clear, or if you are unlucky then maybe a day or two. Best to book yourself onto an early flight, if there are delay then you might fly later in the morning, whereas if you are on a late flight then it's more likely to postponed or cancelled rather than delayed.
3) simplest to arrange your flights in Kathmandu. I don't know if the airlines sell tickets online, a Kathmandu agency would probably agree to book for you in advance but they may not actually purchase the tickets until you've paid them.

Seats on the planes are not allocated, first on gets first choice. For best views try to sit on the left side (outbound, or right on the way home).

Have a good flight/trek :)

stevenLA
14th October 2006, 01:41 AM
Oli,

Thanks for the great info. I'll plan to stay in KTM for 2-3 days to get over the jet lag and to arrange the ticket and other stuff.

Thanks for the advice..especially which side to sit on the plane. I wouldn't want to miss the views! :D

Steven