PDA

View Full Version : Gokyo Ri - EBC trek start in Phaplu - questions

eden
11th June 2006, 04:34 PM
Hello,
I'm planning to have my first trek in Nepal in the Everest area. I was thinking to start it in Phaplu instead of Lukla or Jiri.
The reason is to stay in some less tourist area and to have more days to acclimatization. If somebody can share there experience if it is a good idea?
Is it possible / relatively easy to fly to Phaplu in these days?
Is it an interesting area Phaplu - Lukla trek?
How long does it take from Phaplu to Lukla?

thanks in advance

Harry
11th June 2006, 05:09 PM
Eden,

It's a nice option to start from Paphlu, only problem is that only once a week a flight is going. Takes you a two days less than starting from Jiri.
Perhaps better to start from Jiri and fly back from Lukla. The trek is still nice to walk, although there might be only groups organised on the trek, but times are changing positive again.
For the acclimatisation......., did it two times before and still some clients were suffering from high alitude sickness above Tengboche. Doesn't make that much sense but from the landscape worthwhile doing the whole trekking.
If you decide to fly to Lukla, just stay two nights in Namche, head toward Thame and stay there. Khumjung, Deboche, two nights Dingboche, daytrip to Chuckung, Lobuje, etc. Than crossing Cho La to Tagnak, Gokyo and back down. Nice round!
Wish you succes and starting from Jiri better take a porter/guide with you!

Harry

Hello,
I'm planning to have my first trek in Nepal in the Everest area. I was thinking to start it in Phaplu instead of Lukla or Jiri.
The reason is to stay in some less tourist area and to have more days to acclimatization. If somebody can share there experience if it is a good idea?
Is it possible / relatively easy to fly to Phaplu in these days?
Is it an interesting area Phaplu - Lukla trek?
How long does it take from Phaplu to Lukla?

thanks in advance