PDA

View Full Version : Mao still collecting money!

Harry
1st June 2006, 07:56 PM
They still collecting! Some stories told on a dutch website give me the impression that they are still thinking same way as before.......a Mao republic.
But the people from Nepal prooved to be strong. When elections coming....Mao will loose!:)

yakshaver
4th June 2006, 06:59 PM
I believe it is a bit naive to expect any changes in the money collection habits of the maobadi. They have become dependent on this income. Things have a long way to go in Nepal before this changes. I may be wrong, but in the meantime budget for the mao taxes. This should not spoil anyone trek though...

Harry
5th June 2006, 01:18 AM
Dear Yahshaver,

I fully agree in what you are saying, don't stay away and let your trip to Nepal depending on some "donation". Nepal needs us trekkers and visitors too much.

Cheers and pheri betaunla!

Harry

yakshaver
6th June 2006, 05:05 AM
Yes Harry, let's hope the current government and the maoists can come to some negotiated agreement... Of course things can turn nasty, anything is possible right now. I doubt the Maoists will give up their power base easily, simply because a new government is in place...

And yes, in the meantime, ordinary Nepalis need the tourist dollar. Apparently for three tourists who go to Nepal, one full time job is created for that period.

hoot72
12th June 2006, 07:35 AM
A funny thing happened to me 2 years back on the annapurna circuit..

I actually got stopped by 4 maoist women and a guy who were collecting the "toll" after Pune Hill...they asked me where I was from and I told them xxxxxxx...we ended up sitting down over tea at a small house and talking about foreign employment and working overseas...

I ended up getting them jobs in Malaysia as security guards and the rest is..history...:)

Oli
13th June 2006, 01:15 AM
That's great, hoot72. Did they put "experience in jungle warfare & extortion" on their CVs? :D

Yakshaver is right, unfortunately, the maobadi have become dependant on these "donations". And the are still extorting money for their fellow countrymen. (see here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5001032.stm))

hoot72
13th June 2006, 05:44 AM
That's great, hoot72. Did they put "experience in jungle warfare & extortion" on their CVs? :D

Yakshaver is right, unfortunately, the maobadi have become dependant on these "donations". And the are still extorting money for their fellow countrymen. (see here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5001032.stm))

Hey Oli

Dont know about jungle warfare and extortion but I just followed thru on what they were asking and gave their names and details to a security company in Malaysia that I know of and they contacted me several months later when they got in...

hoot72
1st July 2006, 12:59 AM
I wonder if this means no more donations to the moaists...

Link:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5134162.stm

yakshaver
9th July 2006, 05:23 PM
An Israeli tourist I met in Manang said he forked 1000 rupees to the Maoists at Bahundanda. But an Austrian who came the day after said no, there was no one collecting.
For reasons I outlined elsewhere, I don't think the Maoists will stop collecting money in a hurry. They have a huge "people's army" to keep feeding, no matter the political dialog, and the agreement they have signed with the governement. It is a matter of food right now.
Otherwise the mood in Nepal is quite upbeat. Politicians are all in the open, talking, trying to find a way forward. Pushpa Kamal Dahal (Prachanda) is on TV alongside Koirala, Kumar Nepal, and the others. Let's hope they sort something out for Nepal. The King is very quiet right now, and the Royal has been taken out of the Army as well as they national carrier which is now Nepali Airlines. As well as any other stuff like that.

yakshaver
10th July 2006, 05:21 PM
Let's clarify this issue. I talked to more people now. Yes, the maoists are still collecting, but it is quite patchy. Not as methodical as before.
Towards the tourists, their attitude has not changed. They are not out to hurt or intimidate tourists. At this stage their policy and practice has not changed in this regard. They make no difference on the basis of nationality, and since I see some concern expressed by US citizens, here is my understanding on the issue: the Maobadi treat Americans same as they treat all other tourists. They don't think US citizens are special. Sorry.

Finally, as I mentioned, I listeded to a live translated interview with our Dear Comrade Prachanda. He sounded very arrogant, blaming everyone else, demanding everything. I think that while he may apeal to a section of the population (unfortunately this is the large section neglected by various governments in the past), the average Nepali in the KTM valley, where it counts, is a bit too sophisicated for his rantings. We'll see.

critter2722
11th July 2006, 09:40 AM
Yakshaver-

I agree with you that American's aren't "Special". Blame our concern on the US government posting on their websites that Nepal is unsafe for American tourists. Also...everytime I tell someone that I am off to Nepal, they always response with concern about safety. Maybe we should have asked about "all" trekkers instead of "American" trekkers. Anyway...hopefully trekking will become/remain worry free for all trekkers.

Hoot-I'll look out for you also :cool:

happy trekking
critter

yakshaver
12th July 2006, 08:43 AM
I apologise for my tone critter. Sometime I may go overboard, my Eastern-European background no doubt. I guess I have seen these kind of concernes expressed too often - and sometimes they irritate me. I will seek counselling...

Having said that, I can understand the concerns of a first time would-be trekker, who sees the State Dept (in the US) or the Australian Govt Travel Advisory, and kinda freaks out. I suppose what I am really irriated about is these blasted Travel Advisories. Not first-time would-be trekkers to Nepal.

critter2722
12th July 2006, 09:08 PM
Yakshaver...no worries m8!! I am confident that my first trek will be a success and that it won't be my last. If the Maoist come asking for money, I have no problems handing it over to prevent any confrontation.

happy trekking,
critter