PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance?

Bunkybest
4th April 2006, 12:04 AM
Are there any updates on the travel insurance situation with regards trekking without using a trekking company? :confused: I believe snowcard are out - has anyone used dogtag?
Thanks

yakshaver
5th April 2006, 03:22 AM
I used QBE insurance in my December trip and they covered my for everyhing, including trekking with an independent guide. They in fact didn't care if one trekked with an "organised" agency trek or by oneself.

Bunkybest
5th April 2006, 08:03 PM
Dear Yakshaver
Thanks for the reply, I presume QBE is an Australian company? Maybe they are just a bit less anal about it all in the Southern Hemisphere!:D
I think I may have answerwed my own question, it looks like DOG TAG (in the UK) willcover you as long as you are sensible, use a faily well known route and the political situation doesnt suddenly deteriorate!
thanks again
Bunkybest

Escher
5th April 2006, 08:35 PM
I am covered by Snowcard. I am covered for a number of things even though I travelled here independantly. I clarified it with them before I came out here and got it in writing. It isn't true to say that you aren't covered by Snowcard if you don't come with a group, but there are specific exclusions. Make sure you get the underwriting clarified to you in writing.

I have to say Snowcard were good to me and put in considerable effort in clarifying the exact position.

But I am aware people have been told different things by different people, which is why it is important to get it clarified in writing exactly what you are and aren't covered for.

Escher

Bunkybest
7th April 2006, 12:11 AM
Hi Escher
I read your post on snowcard previously and as I was already with them called them to clarify the situation and the person I spoke to said definitly no as did the BMC.
I emailed dog tag so I have their reply in writing although m,aybe I should get an official letter as well before I take out the policy.
Are you still in Nepal and if so how's your trip going?

Escher
9th April 2006, 01:16 PM
I dealt with Russell Dadson who I think is the director of Snowcard and he clarified exactly what I am and aren't covered for after personal consultations with the Fortis underwriters. What might be different though is the fact that I have a yearly policy, perhaps they aren't taking on new policies for Nepal.

I am in Namche at the moment, it's been fun but I totalled my knee about a week ago so have not made it very far around the Khumbu. We've been up to Maralung above Thame and up to Mong. The weather has been a bit crap, quite a lot of rain and snow, but its still Nepal isn't it!

Really looking forward to the painful descent to Lukla in the next couple of days! Then I will probably just stay in KTM for a week before coming home.

Cheers
Escher

yakshaver
10th April 2006, 03:20 AM
Sorry to hear about injuring your knee Escher. Any injury to your legs, but especially the knee, is really annying in the mountains... Did you have trekking poles, or do you use some now? Are they helping?

Sharon
10th April 2006, 05:22 AM
Sorry about your injury. They are a drag but as YS said at least you are there and inhaling the air! WE are all here in withdrawal and living vicariously through your trip.

blaire576
26th April 2006, 01:17 PM
We are very happy to recommend Travel Guard as the best travel insurance provider for US residents. They provide travel insurance for more than 6 million travelers every year, for other insurance needs see http://www.insurance-quote-free.com hope might help your concern.