PDA

View Full Version : EBC Late December

ricky
19th February 2006, 04:29 PM
Hi All,

I am looking to return to Nepal for another trek to EBC and hopefully over Cho La to Gokyo in late December.

I am familiar with the route having Trekked it a few times already but never this late in the year.

Can anyone advise me what the weather is likely to be like and whether it is possible to get over the pass at this time. If not any sudgestions on an alternative route around the Everest side of the valley as I would be quite happy to give Gokyo a miss as it will be my 4th visit.

Thanks in advance,

Ricky.
________
Healthy living (http://www.health-forums.org/)

Spaceman347
20th February 2006, 01:51 AM
Hi Ricky,

I guess the weather can be pretty unpredictable, I was just up there in late December (returned Dec 24th) and the weather was great, but I know others have seen snow in early October.

All the way up to Periche, I found the weather to be perfect trekking weather, but I like it quite cool. Clothing was long pants and a long sleeve shirt anytime I had my pack on. After Periche it started to get pretty cold, particularly the afternoon winds, so a good windbreaker would be essential. I took a -20c sleeping bag and found it to be too warm but YMMV (your mileage may vary).

The views were absolutely spectatcular with perfect skys everyday and only the faintest hint of light wispy clouds. The biggest "problem" I found was the lake of other people. There are very few people up there at that time of year. Loboche was the first lodge that I stayed in that actually had someone else there.

I had plans of Cho La but didn't make it due to complete lack of physical conditioning however the people I met at Loboche apparently made it over fine, again though, weather can be unpredicatable.

If you're going on your own take a good book 'cause there won't be anyone to talk to.

ricky
28th February 2006, 02:49 PM
Hi Spaceman,

Thanks for your input...
I will certainly remember to upgrade my sleeping bag and take some extra warm kit to allow for the season...

As for not seeing too many other trekkers, thats ok by me. Those trails can get real crowded in peak season and although it is great to meet other trekkers, it can be a real pain if your favorite lodge is full.

Can you recomend any good side trips on the Everest side of the valley, Chukung for example or anything else...??
I am thinking of giving the Gokyo valley a complete miss this year.
Any ideas are much appreciated.

Ricky..
________
sc2 replay (http://screplays.com)

Escher
28th February 2006, 09:44 PM
Up the Imja valley - Chukkung Ri and Tse are interesting. And from Chukkung you can hike up to Island Peak BC and back in a day.

Ama Dablam BC is in an interesting location (only a couple of hours from Pangboche). From there you get unexpected views back over into the Khumbu valley towards Pumori, Lobuche East etc. and close up views of Kangtega, Thamserku and Ombigaichen. And also views to peaks to the south of Namche that I have not seen from anywhere else.

Sharon
1st March 2006, 08:05 AM
Kongma la is a seldom crossed pass, great views and easier than Cho La.

ricky
1st March 2006, 03:02 PM
Wow,

Thanks Guys and Gals.

I am getting itchy feet already... I am so looking forward to going back.

Anymore comments are really welcome.

Ricky..
________
buy air one vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

Tanus
2nd March 2006, 04:36 AM
I did a trek for most of dec.

You will see other people around. Some lodges will be closed but many will still be busy.

The wheater during the day was perfect for walking, not a single day of bad weather, although there was quite abit of wind hitting us in the face as we crossed cho la pass.

The nights are cold.

For me this is the perfect time to visit the area (of course some years the weather will be bad, but it was great for us) as the place doesnt have 6000 trekkers going through per month, but more like a tenth of that figure.

James
2nd March 2006, 06:19 PM
Sharon,
Great picture, where is that shot from? I don't see any of the glacier or Gokyo, yet you can see three lakes which I'm guessing are the first 3 or wait, the mountains in the background look so dark that far lake must be the fifht lake yet I remembered the fifth lake being more enclosed. Ok, I give up, whats the answer.

Escher
3rd March 2006, 09:30 PM
I guess as Sharon had written Kongma La under the picture that that is where it was probably taken? ;)

ricky
4th March 2006, 05:42 AM
Sharon,

Thanks for posting that great picture.
I would really like you tell me more about Kongma La, like where it starts and finishes and how long it takes, are guides necessary ect...

Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Ricky..
________
Honda VF700S (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VF700S)

Bartje
12th May 2006, 05:26 PM
Ricky,

Kongma La is a pass between Digboche and Lobuche. Instead of a "easy" walk trough the valley at Periche to Lobuche, you can take the Kogma La. Highest pass point about 5535meters. The walk down to lobuche should be long and thats why most people who do the Kala Patar won't take this pass the Day before.

But if you have enough time en get a good rest, it must be a beautifull trip (I've taken the easy walk last november because the next day I would climb Kala Patar.

map Kongma La: http://leadership.wharton.upenn.edu/everest/images/khumbu_map_dingboche.jpg

Pictures of my Jiri-Kala Patar trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bartje_assen/sets/1522310/

Sharon
14th May 2006, 10:12 PM
You cross the glacier from Lobouche and climb to the pass. It is good path with yaks pasture almost o the top. It is a long meandering path down to Chukung. The view from the top is looking towards the Chukung side. A very wothwhile walk if you are in the area.

dolpo sherpa
14th June 2006, 03:26 AM
Hi Ricky,

I did Kongma La two years ago with 6 clients, at that moment there was no snow at all. But this crossing is hard and dangerous with snow and ice. So better inform before and just take a guide from Dingboche or Chuckung for two days and pay him for three. The trail is more or less starting halfway in between Dingpoche and Chuckung and goes to a big lake just below the pass. There the harder part of the trekking starts and the way down to Lobuche is pretty steep. If there is no snow it's perfect, but if you want to take no risks take some crampons with you and a good guide.
Cho La, mostly is not a problem. Crossed it several times and also beginning of December. Now a days there is a very good lodge(s) in Tagnak on the way down to Gokyo. Wishing you good luck and enjoy.

Harry

Sharon,

Thanks for posting that great picture.
I would really like you tell me more about Kongma La, like where it starts and finishes and how long it takes, are guides necessary ect...

Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Ricky..