PDA

View Full Version : Travel advisories do their stupid thing again...

yakshaver
30th January 2006, 03:08 AM
As is their stupid habit... travel advisories of various countries (UK, US, Australia, NZ) are again advising their citizens against all but "essential travel" to Nepal. The US State Dept even says that travel on the roads outside Kathmandu is dangerous. Thei fail to mention the fact that this is due to the road conditions and driving habits... 'cause if they said that I would have almost agreed with them...
Mr. Sakhya from KGH makes a good point when he says that as far as he can remember, these countries did not put such dire warnings on their travel advisories when New York, London or Madrid were bombed, and tourists were killed along with many locals... Could you imagine the uproar from the local travel indursty and governments if they did??
But we are talking about a foreign and exotic country where evil must lurch around every corner... Right?!
And the fact that - unlike in London, New York or Madrid - tourists have not been harmed in Nepal due to political upheaval, well, why should these foreign governments and their sensationalist driven media care?

yakshaver
1st February 2006, 04:08 AM
I guess since no one does it, I may as well scold myself on my emotional outburst regarding travel advisories...
By the way, I still stand by the substance of what I've written. The way in which I expressed it could have been better.

I don't want people to think that I condone some reckless behaviour in relation to travelling, wether it's Nepal or anywhere else.
Being well informed of the real situation is important. Also having enough knowledge to predict possible implications of various developments is also important.
Travel advisories have bothered me for a while now, but I guess they have to take the extremely conservative line of telling you to avoid "all non essential" getting out of bed in the mornings.
I am comming to understand that this is their role in life. I still disagree with that approach very strongly, and will say so from time to time.

In the meantime, to all potential travellers to Nepal, please stay tuned to current events, shift through what happens, try to understand implications.
For example, on the one hand, while demostrations likely to lead to clashes with police do happen in KTM from time to time, they usually take place on Ring Road and Ratna park. Not in the usual spots where tourists hang out.
On the other hand if another Thamel hotel's amenities rooms is bombed (as it happend a couple of years ago with a hotel owned by some politician the Maoists did not quite like...), then one perhaps needs to pay more attention.
I hope this balaces out what I wrote before. I am not friends with government sponsored travel advisories though, and still think the information they peddle is rubish, broadly speaking.

Spaceman347
1st February 2006, 05:02 AM
Good on you Yakshaver, I think most people would take both yours as well the various govt's advice with a grain of salt. I think the primary good that the various warnings etc do is to prompt people to do a little investigation of their own and come to their own conclusions.

Personally I think that anyone who's been to Nepal once would now consider themselves an "expert" and above any information that the govt may give anyway.

I mean have the guys who write the travel advisories ever trudged up that steep hill north of Thugla and felt the lack of oxygen and the dry, cold air? No? Then what the hell do they know anyway. :)