PDA

View Full Version : visas

julia
4th January 2006, 12:16 AM
Hi,

Please can you tell me do you need to get your visa in advance from the Embassy in London or is it best to get it in KTM at the airport?

Also, is there a time limit on how long you can stay on one visa?

Thanks

Julia.

Oli
4th January 2006, 12:36 AM
Hi Julia

You can get your visa from the embassy in London, or from the airport in Kathmandu when you arrive - either is as valid as the other.

The standard visa duration is 60 days, this can be extended in KTM in 30 day increments. IIRC the maximum you are allowed to stay on a tourist visa is 5 months.

Hope that helps

Oli

Boulia
4th January 2006, 12:52 AM
Hi Julia

your initial visa will be for 60 days, valid for entry for 6 months from date of issue (so don't get it too far before leaving home if thats your decision in case of delaying your trip) You can also get a multiple entry visa and you can entend for some periods of 30 days (I think 4 only making it a max of 6 months in any year ) whilst in the country but don't let your visa expire before trying this !

I get a visa in advance though many (judging by the line up) get it on arrival. On arrival I believe its USD30 cash plus have 2 passport photos with you). In 4 trips I recall at least once clearing immigration after the last person getting a visa on arrival so maybe its much the same in terms of delay. Its one less thing on arrival, thats all for me.

hope you enjoy your trip as much as i always do.

Boulia
4th January 2006, 12:56 AM
Julia

Oli has corrected my recollection of possible extensions. Max of 5 months.

Cheers

julia
4th January 2006, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, just what i wanted to know. i agree with the getting it done before you go, one less thing to think about!

Julia.

Oli
4th January 2006, 02:18 AM
Yup, I've read the small print on long(ish) visas ;)

The last time I went to Nepal I contrived to be there for ALL of October and ALL of November, I booked my flights and only then realised the 60 visa was an small problem. The Embassy in London politely but firmly declined my request for an advanced extension, this has to be done in Kathmandu, $20 for 30 days.

It really is a toss up between getting your visa in advance or on arrival, but I also prefer to sort out this detail sooner rather than later.

Oli

Michael Sunkist
4th January 2006, 02:57 AM
well, it is 5 months max for any visitor unless you have a different visa other than tourist. Very easy to get at airport in KTM, payable in $ so have small bills or it will be a hassle. After 60 days if you are trekking it is so much faster to renew in Pohkara, than the 2 days it takes in KTM. Takes about 1/2 hour and then you can go swim in the lake and breathe fresh air rather than the soot and diesel of KTM.

Oli
4th January 2006, 03:34 AM
it is so much faster to renew in Pohkara, than the 2 days it takes in KTM. Takes about 1/2 hour and then you can go swim in the lake and breathe fresh air rather than the soot and diesel of KTM.

Ah, I didn't realise you could get extensions in Pokhara, that's handy if you've been to Annapurna. But I'm sure it can't be done in Taplejung ;)

Nick Nepal
31st January 2006, 08:35 PM
Simple stuff for people that want to stay longer... come in August leave at the end of May the next year. Absolutely simple and no problem.

julia
31st January 2006, 10:04 PM
why is it simple and no problem?

oh i get it! a 5 month visa in the latter part of the year and a 5 month visa for the new year! I presume thats what your on about?

Sounds completely logical in theory, have you tried it?

yakshaver
1st February 2006, 04:13 AM
Julia,

Nick has tried everyithing you can possibly imagine, and then some... No, I am not kidding and not trying to taking the mickey out of anyone.

julia
1st February 2006, 03:39 PM
Yakshaver

I was in the middle of writing a reply and had to leave my desk, when i came back someone had shut it down, i was mad because i was sitting here and had put some thought into my words, which takes a lot for me, its ok to take the mickey out of yourself, right?

I was writing about simplicity and logic and how they often dont come into the equation of things, a wide subject and nothing really to do with Nepal etc, but logic doesnt come easy to many people, myself included and neither does simplicity, im not included in that one!

Anyway i didnt think you were taking the mickey out of anyone and if you were im sure most people dont mind a bit of gentle leg pulling do they?

And the other thing, everybody has there own opinion and should be allowed to express it if they wish to, as long as it does no harm to anyone, everyone is different, be a bit boring if we were all the same and agreed with everyones opinion. I think sometimes people read things but dont read between the lines, i think you know what im on about. Well thats more than enough from me!

Julia.

Terver
12th October 2007, 12:57 AM
We are travelling to Nepal in December for a fortnight's holiday from the U.K. We had intended applying for a visa in advance from the embassy in London. However, there is currently an postal strike which means we dare not take the risk of posting our visa applications.

We understand from previous posts that a visa can be obtained upon arrival at Kathmandu airport for 30 dollars. We would be grateful for confirmation that there should be no problem leaving the visa application until our arrival. We realise that this is inherent in the previous posts but would be grateful for re-assurance as we do not wish to risk an expensive holiday. Also, can the visa fee be paid in sterling as an alternative to dollars.

Thanks

yakshaver
12th October 2007, 02:58 AM
We understand from previous posts that a visa can be obtained upon arrival at Kathmandu airport for 30 dollars. We would be grateful for confirmation that there should be no problem leaving the visa application until our arrival. We realise that this is inherent in the previous posts but would be grateful for re-assurance as we do not wish to risk an expensive holiday. Also, can the visa fee be paid in sterling as an alternative to dollars.

Thanks

you can get the visas in the airport if you have cash and photos.

Have some cash with you to the value of 30-40 USD, wether pounds or euros or whatever.

Just as important have two passport sized photos with you as well.

Suginami
14th October 2007, 05:11 AM
Don`t worry dears. Arrive without a photo and you will be smartly stuck up against a wall and your friendly Nepali with take 4 photos for a fee and you are up and running.

This is Nepal not the US.

Arrive with no money and you could barter your shirt or a Playboy. I have not done this but I am sure that you would not be sent back to England or whatever. However have cash in a big currency and you are laughing. Yen works fine.

Getting your visa in the airport IS TOTALLY SAFE. I do it everytime and did forget photos. I do not see people who already have visas getting processed any quicker and remember for everyone the luggage carousel is really really slow. So even if you do dart through you still have to wait.

Everything works on Nepal time. There is no such thing as NO, just later or wait a minute

yakshaver
15th October 2007, 03:12 AM
Don`t worry dears. Arrive without a photo and you will be smartly stuck up against a wall and your friendly Nepali with take 4 photos for a fee and you are up and running.

This is Nepal not the US.

Arrive with no money and you could barter your shirt or a Playboy. I have not done this but I am sure that you would not be sent back to England or whatever. However have cash in a big currency and you are laughing. Yen works fine.

Hm... based on this the old magazine collections can be traded for Nepali visas. Good to know.

Per
17th October 2007, 04:53 AM
Please can you tell me do you need to get your visa in advance from the Embassy in London or is it best to get it in KTM at the airport?.

Depends, if you have easy access to the Embassy in London it may be a good idea to get it there. We have got visas in Delhi and Calcuta several times and there is no point in doing that, they usually want to keep the passport for a while, wheras at the airport you get it straight away. Less hassle than going twice to the embassy.