View Full Version : Insurance cover

Amanda Caton
10th October 2005, 12:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company (English)? I would like one that includes 'rescue cover'.
Ta very much!

10th October 2005, 02:31 PM
Contact the British Mountaineering Council, you might have to join (25ish) but they were the best I could find. You need to give them a detailed itinery though


30th October 2005, 02:51 PM
The insurance which a foreigner can lay in Kathmandu.

Neco Insurance

31st October 2005, 01:46 AM
Most travel insurance include some kind of medical evacuation (don't use words like "rescue", as they tend to freak out. Bloody bureaucrats and their "risk assessment"...). You need to explain to the insurer that you just walk on the beaten path, you don't climb/technical climbing, or white water raft or bungy jump etc.
Bear in mind that in case of helicopter medical evacuation you need to pay upfront in cash or credit card. And then you will claim your money back from the insurer once you are safely back in your home country. So you need enough limit on your credit card, say at least 2000 US, or 1000 pounds, something like that

2nd November 2005, 04:06 AM
I agree with NATHY, the BMC are a good safe choice. Their policies are tailored cover various activities in mountains. Trekking in Nepal is considered to be less risky than skiing in the Alps. You'll need Worldwide Trek cover.
Yakshaver is right to query the small print on the extras - I think white water rafting may be covered (canoeing is) but bungy jumping probably isn't.
And the BMC membership may be a small additional cost but it is woth it to consider yourself a member of such an august organisation - it will be put to good use, probably on UK Right Of Way work or maybe even subsidising jollies for aspiring climbers ;)