PDA

View Full Version : Gps

NATHY
8th September 2005, 04:07 PM
Hi again,
Sorry more questions for you seasoned Nepal Trekkers.
Is it worth getting GPS for out there or stick with traditional map & compass
Thanks folks
Nathy

Holy stRoller
8th September 2005, 07:20 PM
I'm off to Nepal next week, (18th Sept), and I've been planning this for ages. As I'm into all things mappy and GPSy I trawled the internet for decent waypoint and route data for the everest region. As you have probably found out here isn't much out there at all.

I've changed that! Check this out:- www.aqpk57.dsl.pipex.com (http://www.aqpk57.dsl.pipex.com)

The entire Khumbu region has been mapped in great detail. I expect it to be very acurate but I wont know for sure 'till I get there and give it a go for myself. It's user configurable and will enable you to put together any trekking route you like

All this is available free. I would be interested to know what you make of it.

Enjoy!

HS

NATHY
8th September 2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks HS,
Will give it a go for sure
Nathy ;)

James
8th September 2005, 09:08 PM
A map is a great reference tool for seeing where you be going and checking out the names, distances and elevations, however, there is no need for a map to navigate any of the trails between villages. Equally, a GPS record may make a cool log of your trek, but again unnecessary for getting around. If you are trekking on your own, simply ask for directions each morning at breakfast and it would be nearly impossible to get lost. There are simply very few trail choices. When in doubt wait a few minutes for the next folks to pass by.

In inclement weather you would be far better severed to follow a yak herd or the locals heading between villages. The only possible real need would be on one of the high passes and then if you were traveling unguided a gps might be handy (if you had good data), but it would be no substitute for a guide as paths change depending on conditions. So unless your heading off the well beaten path, your gps will simply be for fun!

As an aside, the cost of a good gps is probably much more than the cost of hiring a guide and hiring a guide will put food on someone's table and maybe help out a family in what is a very poor country.

yakshaver
10th September 2005, 04:22 AM
I tend to be on James' side... The GPS is not necessary on any of the popular treks in Nepal. You have to try very hard to get lost, even without a map, never mind a GPS... And even if you venure in areas such as Manaslu, Makalu etc it is easy to employ a guide. However sexy your GPS may be, it may look like a bit of an overkill to stop and read it between, say, Jorsale and Namche Bazaar... There's nowhere else to go but the trail.

NATHY
10th September 2005, 09:53 PM
Ok guys point taken. In the Alps I have constantly encountered people not being prepared, endangering themselves and others. Being caught out in a storm at 4500M at -20 is no time to realise that you could be in a bit of bother and lost. Never having been to Nepal before I want to be as thorough as possible.
Fair Enough??
Nathy

yakshaver
11th September 2005, 02:54 AM
No worries - I mean why not take one if you already have it? I guess I would not buy one if all I want to do is trek one of the usual treks on Langtang, Annapurna or Solu-Khumbu.
The Himal is not one of those places you would venture on your own cross country away from the trails used for centuries (and therefore needing a GPS) unless you are very seriously prepared for that.