PDA

View Full Version : Makalu Base camp to Jiri?

PFC
3rd July 2013, 11:06 PM
Hi Guys,

Have not posted on here since 2009!! Work and life got in the way (moving from Germany to UK and then to Cyprus didn't help)

I am planning to come over to Nepal for six weeks and want to do something a bit different from the usual EBC Trek. Has anyone done Tumlingtar-Num to EBC then out to Jiri in April / May.

1. Is it doable
2. what is the flight like
3. will I need to take a tent etc.

I would appreciate any experiences and tips for such a trip?

Regards

PFC.

scoodly
4th July 2013, 06:35 PM
Hi PFC

I did a similar route a little earlier last year: Tumlingtar - Arun Valley - EBC - Gokyo - Pikey Peak - Shivalaya (so not MBC). A small group (4 trekkers, a p/g, 2 porters)took a jeep to Tumlingtar on 10th March, with an overnight at Hille, so we could see parts of Nepal not visited before. If the choice was mine alone I would have flown to T and landed on the newly black-topped runaway.

It was certainly doable in terms of weather, snow and lodges. There was a little snow lying on the north side of the passes which made descents a little tricky. There were a couple of brief snow flurries before we got to the main trail, nothing until Pheriche and on the return to Namche where there was a significant overnight fall but we soon walked out of it. Taking a punt, there might be more snow falling later in the spring but it will not stay on the ground as long.

The 'lodges' in the Arun Valley were great; redolent of homestays way back. Some had faded lodge signs but the owners were sometimes surprised to see trekkers and hurried to sweep out rooms and in, some cases, clear out the kids and their belongings. Food was pretty much DB all the way, no menus with apple pie and beer as on the main trails.

No tent was needed and finding accommodation was part of the experience. There is a little development; for example, there was an almost completed lodge just before Guranse but the owners were dodgy and after a late lunch we decided not to stay (and it turned out we had some food stolen). There was a better a lodge in the tiny village itself - lovely family, great food (fried potatoes and boiled eggs as it happened). During the night we had horizontal snow blowing through the room, still no need for a tent in my view!

We saw very people on the trails; an older Kiwi couple re-visiting the school they helped to build in the 70s and two young Americans trekking out from EBC.

The difference back on the main trails was marked of course and the prices a shock after paying less than 500 rupees per day in the Arun Valley for food and accommodation. After EBC abnd Gokyo I continued to to Phaplu and Salleri before heading to Pikey Peak which, like the Arun Valley, is more than a little different to EBC. There were no other trekkers after Phaplu; lunch wan tea breaks were taken in ordinary houses (organised by the p/g), one night spent in a tent at a monastery because all the householders in the area were there. We passed through a few deserted villages mystified and we arrived at about 8pm in the dark, relieved not to have to spend a night out. There was a major prayer festival and within 5 minutes of arriving we had a space in a tent, within 10 minutes we were tucking into stew. Still no need to carry a tent.

From there (Goli Gompa) it was back to Shivalaya and the bus. I missed out on Pikey Peak summit because the p/g decided to get drunk but that's another story.

Geting of the beaten trekking path is well worth it.

scoodly

PFC
4th July 2013, 06:42 PM
Scoodly.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Regards

PFC

scoodly
4th July 2013, 08:19 PM
Some more info if interested:

This was very useful for planning even though it went in the other direction:

http://fedup.com.au/images/stories/nepal/ArunValleyTrek.pdf

This blog was written by one of my trek buddies:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/21ed81/

An MBC itinerary from MAST (a communoty organisation rather than a commercial outfit) showing it can be done without tents:

http://makaluaruntreks.com.np/trekking/mountain-treks/makalu-base-camp-trek/

scoodly

sirdar
5th July 2013, 08:56 AM
If you are thinking Makalu Base Camp to EBC via Sherpani, West and Amphu Laptse high pass, please read the sticky thread http://trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28219

There are operating daily two-three flights from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar.

thebluespace
4th August 2013, 01:08 PM
Everest from Tumlingtar via Arun Valley is easy and can be done almost anytime of year on your own.

If you opt for the Sherpini route then you are into serious mountains and passes at 6000m - you need ropes, crampons and a guide at the very least.

Many people have died on this route by being stuck between passes in heavy snowfall.

April is not great as the snow can still be thick. April/May/June and Oct / Nov are the best times

PFC
5th August 2013, 11:48 AM
Thank you for the input guys,

I quickly dismissed this as an option as I don't want to be humpimg all the gear required, although the route looks awesome and may be a future option as I have the experience and equipment to attempt ( I never say complete!) this route

Regards

PFC