PDA

View Full Version : flight to Lukla and Kala Pattar in 13 days

adventure bab
31st July 2005, 02:07 AM
I plan to buy the ticket for Kathmandu to Lukla from Canada (awaiting email reply from the airline) but how bad are delays in October. The actual flight dates I'm seeking is Oct 8 - 20. Unfortunately I only have 13 days to trek so I want to fly out to Lukla ASAP. Am I being realistic?

Yakshaver, he who seems so omnipresent and omniscient... if nobody replies could you give some wise and experienced opinions. Thank you.

Also, if things got really backed up from Lukla to Kathmandu, can I get a helicopter?

niyatri
31st July 2005, 11:29 AM
Regarding Booking of the flight and returned flight ,I hope it is not problem due to many domestic airways flight to LUKLA . There are Gorkha airways , yeti airlines ,Royal nepal airlines.
for more info contact at
niyatri@yahoo.com

yakshaver
4th August 2005, 10:34 AM
I don't know everything, only pretend to...
I agree with niyatri, you don't have to worry too much anymore, as there are about 5 airlines plying the route these days. Still, you need to be in Lukla in mid afternoon to confirm your place for the following day. Make sure you score an early flight. I was delayed only once in Lukla - and it was for one day. Only the first 4-5 flights took off, and then at about 10:30 the clouds came up the valley. But this was in late April with an early monsoon on the way.
I think you'll be safer in October, just after the monsoon.
It would be good to have a day to spare.

You can do Lukla to Gokyo return in 11 days, or 12 if you want to take your time and include and extra day for exploration. This time would include all your acclimatisation etc. This would leave you one or two days to spare, for any delay situation.

adventure bab
6th August 2005, 01:47 AM
Thanks Yakshaver!

Pesty
4th September 2005, 03:32 PM
Does any one know the current cost of the flight KTM to Lukla?

S-Q
4th September 2005, 07:06 PM
already booked :) the price is one-way of course and they want USD not Rs.

treknepal2u
1st October 2005, 04:40 PM
USD$ 95 by any flight

treknepalk2u@yahoo.com (trekking guide)

treknepal2u
1st October 2005, 04:42 PM
USD$ 95 by any flight

treknepal2u@yahoo.com (trekking guide)

sirdar
2nd October 2005, 04:14 PM
If you are physically fit for the high altitude, you can do Kala pattar within 13 days. You should be spending minimum two nights at same place 3500 and 4300m for acclimatizing before pushing to Kala patter 5545m.

Itinerary:

1) KTM to Lukla by flight and trek to Phakding/Manju
2) Phakding/Manju to Namche
3) Rest day
4) To Teyanboche
5) To Pheriche
6) Rest day
7) To Labuche
8) To Gork shef
9) To Kala pattar and back to Dinboche
10) To Teyanboche
11) To Manju
12) To Lukla
13) To KTM by flight
Never ascend with any symptoms of AMS! Usually within one or two days you will feel well and can continue your trek. You can re-ascend when the person feels better.

October is the best time for the trekking in Nepal. Weather is good all most time. I hope that weather will not disturb for you at that time. You can get helicopter Lukla to KTM but you may pay emergency rescue charge.

Contact: trek.guide@gmail.com if you have further more enquiries.

I plan to buy the ticket for Kathmandu to Lukla from Canada (awaiting email reply from the airline) but how bad are delays in October. The actual flight dates I'm seeking is Oct 8 - 20. Unfortunately I only have 13 days to trek so I want to fly out to Lukla ASAP. Am I being realistic?

Yakshaver, he who seems so omnipresent and omniscient... if nobody replies could you give some wise and experienced opinions. Thank you.

Also, if things got really backed up from Lukla to Kathmandu, can I get a helicopter?

yakshaver
3rd October 2005, 07:26 PM
I suggest Gokyo as a better alternative for that kind of timeframe. I did Lukla - Gokyo - Lukla in 10 or 11 days last time (can't exactly remember), but I pushed it for longer days on the return bit... I did not compromise on acclimatization with two nights in Namche and one in Kumjung. On return, I did Gokyo to Dole, Dole to Namche, and Namche to Lukla, so three days. One could do it more comfortably in 12 days.