PDA

View Full Version : Annapurna Sanctuary Trek

adie.j
20th January 2012, 04:24 AM
Hi all,

The wife and i have flights booked to Nepal on the 9th of May returning on the 29th. Our plan is to trek to ABC.
I have put together a draft route and wondered if you kind people would take a look over it and post back with some constructive comments.

1 - Naya Pul to Tikhedhunga
2 - Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani
3 - Ghorepani to Poon Hill to Tadapani
4 - Tadapani to Chhomrong
5 - Chomrong to Bamboo
6 - Bamboo to Himilayan Hotel
7 - Himilayan Hotel to MBC
8 - MBC to ABC
9 - ABC to ABC
10 - ABC to Himilayan Hotel
11 - Himilayan Hotel to Chhomrang
12 - Chhomrang to Ghondruk
13 - Ghondruk to Phedi

I know not many people spend a full day at ABC however my thoughts are that if your going to spend all this time trekking to get there then you may as well make the most of it.
Also, i have an extra day of which i wondered if if was worth spending it at the hot springs? Or would i be able to squeeze a visit in already? Only that i know the Ghorepani to Tadopani is a long day.

Lastly, im looking at the Panasonic Lumix Ft3 camera, any users out there recommend it?

Thank you in advance for your replies

Adie

Robert
20th January 2012, 04:43 PM
Himalaya Hotel to ABC is easily done in one day. Not far at all from MBC to ABC.

Petrus
20th January 2012, 07:41 PM
Also, i have an extra day of which i wondered if if was worth spending it at the hot springs? Or would i be able to squeeze a visit in already? Only that i know the Ghorepani to Tadopani is a long day.

I suppose you mean Tatopani down at the Kali Kandaki Valley? It is a quite nice walk down, but quite a climb back up, 1700m climb. I would not spend 2 days of hard walking to sit in a hot pool for a while. To me the hot springs actually do not look all that inviting even. Dozens of people sitting in soapy water...

Himalayan hotel to MBC is just 2-3 hours, MBC to ABC is another hour or 75 minutes. I would go straight to ABC after a lunch at MBC, if AMS starts to develop then drop back to MBC, takes about 45 minutes downhill.

On return I would go Chomrong-Landruk-Phedi, less climbing.

adie.j
20th January 2012, 10:14 PM
Good points guys, I will have a look at changing the route, Himilayan hotel to ABC.
So you wouldnt go to Tatopani at all? I didn't think you could really miss it out on the route.

Petrus
21st January 2012, 12:52 AM
Good points guys, I will have a look at changing the route, Himilayan hotel to ABC.
So you wouldnt go to Tatopani at all? I didn't think you could really miss it out on the route.

Tatopani (Hot Water) is down at Kali Kandaki valley, one day's walk north-west of Ghorepani (Horse Water). Tadapani (Tarapani on the Nelles 1:100000 map, No Water) is one short day's walk to the east of Ghorepani. Going down to Tatopani for bathing and climbing up to Tadapani is a 2-3 day extra walk.

adie.j
21st January 2012, 02:27 AM
Thank you for clarifying that for me.

un-j
26th January 2012, 06:00 PM
No need to go to Tatopani from ABC trails. There are also hot springs in Jhinu Danda on the descent from Chomrong (less then 1 h down) - you can extend your day 11. From the lodges it's abt 20 min. down to the river.

trek
31st January 2012, 06:39 AM
this is best for you

1 - Naya Pul to Tikhedhunga
2 - Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani
5 - Chomrong to Bamboo
6 - Bamboo to Himilayan Hotel
7 - Himilayan Hotel to MBC
8 - MBC to ABC
9 - ABC to ABC
10 - ABC to Himilayan Hotel
11 - Himilayan Hotel to Chhomrang
12 - Chhomrang to Jhinu hot spring
13 - Jhinu to Phedi drive baco to pokhara,

adie.j
31st January 2012, 04:57 PM
Chhomrong to jhinu seems very short on my map? IWhat about extending day11 further to jhinu? Then I gain a day.

un-j
1st February 2012, 01:01 PM
See my post above. It took me 1 hour in a pretty leisure pace, going down all the way (bloody stairs). In Jhinu Danda you've got good choice of lodges to stay.

adie.j
3rd February 2012, 06:30 AM
See my post above. It took me 1 hour in a pretty leisure pace, going down all the way (bloody stairs). In Jhinu Danda you've got good choice of lodges to stay.

I apologise for overlooking your post and have changed our route and extended to Jhinu. Trek I notice you have included H.Hotel to MBC, then MBC to ABC and not H.Hotel to ABC, any reason?

Mountain Man
15th February 2012, 03:27 AM
I would recommend going up to Ulleri on your first day, if you have the time. It breaks up the big climb to Ghorepani, and is a bit more scenic. Plus you can rest easy, knowing that you have climbed the 3300 stone steps to Ulleri!

Have a great Trek!
Bret

adie.j
24th April 2012, 07:42 PM
1 - Naya Pul to Ulleri
2 - Ulleri to Ghorepani
5 - Chomrong to Bamboo
6 - Bamboo to Deurali
7 - Deurali to ABC
8 - ABC
9 - ABC to Doban
10 - Doban - Jhinu (Hot Springs)
11 - Jhinu to Phedi

Revised route.

Is this ok or should i include a 12th day, ie Jhinu to Ghondruk - Ghondruk to Phedi?

Escher
24th April 2012, 09:35 PM
Jhinu to Phedi is okay (longish day) but I'd stay at Deurali not Himalayan Hotel before MBC/ABC. Have lunch at HH and go onto Deurali.

adie.j
30th April 2012, 03:23 AM
Jhinu to Phedi is okay (longish day) but I'd stay at Deurali not Himalayan Hotel before MBC/ABC. Have lunch at HH and go onto Deurali.

Hopefully that's the final edit, really appreciate your advice. Nearly finished packing and counting down the days. I really cant wait to start, infact I'm looking forward to finding out how Ktm and Pokhara have changed in 10 years.

adie.j
4th May 2012, 05:09 AM
One last question.
Is it difficult to navigate between Tadapani and Chhomrong as on the map I see various routes, a couple that run diagonally in a NE direction the other via Ghandruk?

Petrus
4th May 2012, 09:37 AM
No, the main trail is strong and clear.

julia
15th May 2012, 02:49 PM
Plus there are usually plenty of people to ask and if you really go wrong the locals soon tell you. We would only take 2 steps the wrong way and someone would shout NO wrong way! We did go off the main trail on purpose so the path was sometimes harder to follow, but like Petrus says, on the main trail you will be fine.

Mountain Man
25th July 2012, 12:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have created a Google Earth tour of a possible route to and from Annapurna Sanctuary. You can see it here on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/OSvlZF5YxEY

Enjoy your trek!