PDA

View Full Version : Jiri to Namche: times

Dakota
7th June 2010, 03:14 PM
Hello,

I have Lonely Planet's "Trekking in the Nepal Himalaya" guidebook and YetiZone's trek description.
They differ substantially in trekking times needed between two points.
Can someone please let me know their experience in what their trekking times were?
Or, which ones (LP, or Yeti) are more accurate?

Thank you.

Boulia
8th June 2010, 01:38 AM
I take 7 days walking from Jiri to Namche, plus a day by bus to Jiri. My night stops are something like this, overnight Jiri before starting, Bhandar, Sete, Jumbesi, Nunthalla, Bupsa/Khare, then somewhere around Phakding on the main Lulka trail, then Namche. I have never taken the bus to Bhandar but understand its a long slow ride from Jiri to Bhandar. There are many other options to stay other than what i have stated.

Dakota
8th June 2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks, Boulia.

Andy K
9th July 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi, I plan on taking 6 days for Jiri to Namche in October, possibly walking to Shivalaya in the PM if the bus gets in to Jiri on time. Walked out from Namche last October in 5 days but that was after walking in from Tumlingtar. I am a 50 odd year old, smoker and enjoy the odd beer or three & not hyper fit. I do however walk a fairly long day. My itinery is : Jiri or Shivalya, Kinja, Junbesi (bugger of a day doing Lamjura in one go - I leave at 6:00 & take it slow), Nuntala, Bupsa, somewhere between Lukla & Namche, Namche. If you have the time - it is definately worthwile to stop over in a couple of places for a day or 2, Junbesi for instance. From the number of tourists, villages, also the people I guess, the walk between Jiri and Lukla is by far more enjoyable - if it weren´t for those little white hills that you do see better from Gokyo or EBC.

Lars
10th July 2010, 03:40 PM
I have Lonely Planet's "Trekking in the Nepal Himalaya" guidebook and YetiZone's trek description.
They differ substantially in trekking times needed between two points.
Or, which ones (LP, or Yeti) are more accurate?
L P's times are not only wrong, but worse they are inconsistent.

I have not really used that book in many years. But on my last Everest trek I
borrowed it once in a while from other trekkers and compared my times with
those mentioned in the book. They were rarely even close. Sometimes much
more and other times a lot less.