PDA

View Full Version : Langtang in April-May 2010

asrock
19th February 2010, 02:09 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm planning to do a trek with a friend in Langtang. Both are fit and used to walk long distances with a big backpack but have very little of mountaineering experince.
Can anyone help me with couple of questions?
Is it possible to go with the following plan:

Kathmandu - Syabru bus.
Syabru - Kyanjing Gomba
Kyanjing Gomba - Yala Peak - Kyanjing Gomba
Kyanjing Gomba - Ganja La
Ganja La - Keldang
Keldang - Tarke Gyang
Tarke Gyang - Melamchigaun
Melamchigaun - Gosainkunda
Gosainkunda - Dhunche
Dhunche - Kathmandu bus.

Obviously not daily distances, just the route.
Time: 16 days +- 2 days.

Porter/Guide recommended? Weather conditions in Yala peak/Ganja La at that time of year? Tent needed? Choice of shoewear: anklehigh leatherboots or lightweight just under ankle trekking shoes? Anything else I should take in perspective?

Cheers and if anyone of you is willing to join us your welcome! :)

Oli
19th February 2010, 05:37 PM
Crossing Ganja La would be the dodgy part of that plan. It's not an easy pass, you may encounter technical and/or route finding difficulties, you will definitely need to camp for a few days and having an experienced guide and porters would be highly recommended. The pass is not open all year and I think the best time to cross is post monsoon.

The pass at Gosiankunda is altogether more straight forward, tea house treking and decent trail all the way.

I would suggest you consider starting from Shivapuri, via Kutumsang and over to Gosiankunda, via Thulo Syaphru and up the Langtang valley to Kanjin Gompa & Yala Peak, finally back to Syabru to get a bus (or 4wd if you get a chance) to Kathmandu. This is the "classic" Langtang & Helambu trail for good reason.

If you take this easier plan then you wont need a guide and should be able to complete the trek comfortably and will doubtless have a wonderful holiday. Better that than taking on more that you handle and spoiling your enjoyment with unnecessary hardship and potential danger.

I'll probably be in KTM for a few days mid April before heading over to Annapurna, perhaps our paths may cross for a drink, I'd be glad to share my personal experience of that area.

asrock
19th February 2010, 08:58 PM
Awesome reply! Thanks.

Unfortunately we're arriving around 24-26.4 to KTM so you are already at Annapurna region?

Nice route. We start from Sundarijal? How far is it from KTM? The route you suggested is a teahousetrek? No need for a tent?

Idea for us is not to rush through the trek although "walking days" can be long ones as long there is a chillday with some nice views after one walkday. Can you suggest some daily waypoints with good lodging and so on?

Cheers

Ps. What about the choice of footwear? We are heading towards SE-Asia after trekking and I have no more need for my trekking boots. Do you reckon I should take them for the trip or can I make it with trainerlike trekking shoes?

Oli
20th February 2010, 04:22 PM
For a possible itinerary have a look at the Yetizone pages on the trek (here (http://www.yetizone.com/Langtang/Trek/langtang_trek.shtml)), but there are enough villages and lodges along the way that you can easily vary trek to make some days longer or shorter.

Sundarijal is on the edge of the Kathmandu valley, this has the advantage of an easy taxi ride to the start of the trail. The road to/from Syabru is somewhat longer and rougher. You could do the trek in either direction but I think its best to be walking towards the moutains, otherwise you have to spend the last few days of the walk out looking behind you for the dwindling views.

Decent teahouses all the way so no need to camp. Comfortable but light boots would be ideal, but the trails are mostly all quite good and you could reasonably wear cross-trainers (or approach shoes, whatever they are called), the various pros & cons of that choice of footwear are discussed elsewhere on this forum (eg here (http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8145)) so I'll not elaborate here.

Our dates dont coincide in Kathmandu, but I am sure we'll both bump into plenty of other random trekkers if not each other.

asrock
20th February 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks a lot for all your answers. That Yetizone initiary was excellent.

You know if there has been any changes in lodging around Yala Peak? Every page I find says that you have to camp for one night before the summit. Except Peakware web site that said its possible to do it in a one day from Kyanjin Gomba? Any lodges nearer?

thesilvertops
21st February 2010, 01:39 PM
In 2000, the taxi to Sundarijal took us about 45 minutes. The bus back from Dhunche took 11 hours (approx 120 km!) I don't know if it's any quicker nowadays. If you have the time do spend a few days hiking in the the Kyangjin Gompa area, there's a couple of hills that are not difficult and if you have some camping kit you could hike up past Langshisha and spend a night up there before heading back. You would be hiking part of Tilman's route from Tibet. Perhaps someone on the forum has some pics from that valley. We only did a day hike up there as we had no camping kit.

A couple of tips: 1. Hike in from Sundarijal, not out, then the view of the Himalaya is in front of you all the time and not behind. 2. Do stay at Laurebina Yak. There are a couple of lodges there and the view is stunning. On a clear day you can see the Annapurna Himal, Manaslu Himal, Ganesh Himal, the foothills of Tibet and then the Langtang Himal. Fantastic!

http://www.pbase.com/thesilvertops/image/83009862.jpg
View towards Langshisha.

Janey
22nd February 2010, 07:39 AM
I am trekking (camping) during the month of March on the Annapurna trial and keep getting conflicting information regarding temperatures I will experience . I have gone and purchased termal clothing including hooded tops etc. Will I need them.[/

James
22nd February 2010, 09:29 PM
I would agree with thesilvertops regarding staying in Laurebina Yak (breathtaking view) and camping up past Langshisha (there was an old roofless shepards hut that would be perfect). However as there were a lot of clouds at the lower elevations and the corresponding lack of views, I would not walk up from Sundarijal - it just wouldn't be worth the work. Not to mention, I prefer slow uphill bus/jeep ground transport to Syabru rather than the faster downhill brake dependent direction.

Oli
23rd February 2010, 04:35 AM
Yes, as the others have said - there are no lodges above Kanjin Gompa, only a crude hut for a rough bivvy. There is plenty to explore up there. And the view at Laurebina Yak is a highlight.

But I have to argue the toss about that road to Syabru, I'm sure it's better than it was a decade ago (it almost goes to China), by comparison to some Nepali roads it's pretty good. And, for me, the sense of walking all the way from Kathmandu to the mountains made up for the somewhat hazy views as we hiked through the foothills.

asrock
13th August 2010, 05:44 PM
Hi guys!

Been back from the trip for months now but some what forgot to add some story from the trek.

Okay!

Lost about week of travelling time due to the Iceland volcanic explosion and no flights were goin out.

Flew to Delhi, made our way to Kathmandu from there by land. Spend couple days in Kathmandu before taking a bus to Dhunche. Roads were crappy but not a problem for us. This local grandma sitting in front of us had majour troubles keeping her lunch inside, probably due to the huge quantity of chewing tobacco or the roads and threw out from the window like every half-an-hour :) About 6-7 hours in bus.

Day after we left for Dhunce the strikes kicked in. Got pretty lucky there since the bustraffic "vanished" after that.

Checked in for a night and talked with some local lads. One of these lads left to guide us for 1000 rupees per day. At first we were not supposed to hire any guides but we saw the guys situation and got soft. Made us happy to see the look on his face when we offered him that price.

Easy first day: Left around 11 o'clock after some last minute shoppings. The valley was so hot!! Had to drink plenty of water just to take out the sweating. After Deurali it got little colder and it was easier to walk. Stayed for night at Sing Gomba.

Second day: "Slow-by-slow" The views were stunning. Took plenty of pictures and reached the days destination quite early. Did many sidetrips without backpacks from Chyolangpati which were really nice. Looking for red pandas etc. Forest views look like from Lord of the rings or something.

Third day: Laurebina. Another easyday. Stayed there for the morning views. Met this wierd russian couple who cut the ladys hair (yep all of it!) with garden scissors and burnt them in the dining room stove. Everybody had to get out of there because of the smell. Woke us many times during the night when he smoking weed outside and watching stars. "Guys you got to see this" Nice guy anyways.

MORNING VIEW! STUNNING

Fourth day: To Gosainkunda Lake. Easy-easy. Had again plenty of time to do some sidetrips.

Fifth day: Spent the morning doing sidetrip to some nearest "hilltop" for some morning views. Then head towards Dhunche. Walked all the way back to Sing Gumba. (Cheese is excellent!)

Sixth Day: Made our way to Dhunche. We heard that the bustraffic is very limited so didnt want to take any risks missing our flight and came couple days earlier to wait for a ride back to Kathmandu. Missed that days bus by 5 minutes or something according to the locals.

Eight day: Bus back to Kathmandu. Previous night had somewhat picnic on the hotel balcony and a great time drinking some chinese whiskey (Ding-Dong or something) with some french lads and a german couple.

+ Food. So many different kinds of different foods. Favourite might be the mushroomfriedrice.

+ Views. Nature in every aspect.

- People. Everybody always says that "The locals were so nice and so on". Okay, people were mostly nice but to my standards that was basic stuff if you are involved with another human being. Of course if you gave them money (stay at their hotel, eat their food they are nice to you) they were nice to you.

-Garbage/people. Why is it so f*ckin hard to carry your empty plastic bags/candywrappers/condoms!!!/bottles to the next hotel and burn them or something. Anyways its better then to leave them on the side of the path.

- Quite alot of hustling attempts when trying to get from Dhunce to Kathmandu. Everybody seemed to be the bus money collector. And when there actually was a bus coming, this random hotel owner, who was the money collector and in contact with the busdriver, refused to give any info when asked. "Why is it 2000 rupees for us and locals pay 500? There is a sign on the bus that says "TOURIST ONLY" -Okay you dont get in the bus. You stay here." Question wasnt addressed in any aggressive way. Answer on the other hand was...
Later saw this couple getting hustled by there own guide since the bus was 500 rupees for locals and he asked them for 700rupees.

Travelled to India, Nepal, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia on the same trip and Nepal had the most hustling. Unfortunate because I loved being in there. Maybe just unlucky. Definetly going there again. Next time towards Pokhara though.

Cheers everyone for a succesful trip!