PDA

View Full Version : Gokyo from Jiri - early October

Andy K
15th September 2009, 01:47 PM
Hi, I will be arriving in Ktmd 3. October & wanted to head out to Jiri the next day (I only have 4 weeks time). Plan is to walk in & walk out & either spend some time in Gokyo exploring or possibly going over the pass & to base camp/ Kalapatar/Chukung. I have been to Nepal a couple of times & don`t have any real fixed gaol. I prefer the walk from Jiri as opposed to flying to Lukla, I get to Namche fitter & slightly more acclimatised - I remember walking out from Namche in 5 days but that was quite a few moons ago. I think 7 days will be more realistic (both ways). I am not taking a guide or porter (my rucksack only weighs about 6 Kgs). I tend to walk slow but put in a full days worth of walking. Anyone interested in having a couple of laughs & beers interspersed with bouts of tedious walking up & down those bloody passes ?
Cheers, Andy

andyoxus
15th September 2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Andy,

Have you thought about coming in from Tumlingtar instead? See my post at http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24187

Andy

Petrus
15th September 2009, 11:41 PM
It took us 5 days to walk from Namche to Shivalaya last May. That was after 45 days of solid trekking, but we are also past 50. That is 7 days from Gorak Shep-EBC to Shivalaya. Coming down is quite fast compared to trekking up.

Shivalaya is 1/2 day past Jiri, and the buses go now there, some even to Bhandar.

Andy K
16th September 2009, 05:20 PM
Hey Andy,

Have you thought about coming in from Tumlingtar instead? See my post at http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24187

Andy

I saw your thread & the various comments/discussion. Apart from being off the beaten track - what makes walking in from Tumlingtar more attractive than walking from Jiri ? Generally I would be game. Does my schedule fit in with what you are planning ?

Cheers, Andy

andyoxus
16th September 2009, 07:31 PM
I get the impression that the walks in from Jiri and Tumlingtar are roughly equivalent, though Tumlingtar seems a bit tougher, and has simpler facilities. Tumlingtar is my preference mainly because I've already hiked from Jiri (which I loved). And I do like the idea that it's off-the-beaten-path yet safe and logistically straightforward. Also, I was hanging out with the people from Project Himalaya in KTM in May, and they raved about the Tumlingtar walk, so I'm confident it's really good. Oh, and I've just noticed that they're running a trip there this Christmas: description: http://project-himalaya.com/k-everesttrek-arun-xmas.html - interesting reading, if a bit flowery - they break the walk up into shorter days.

Timing-wise, if you're interested, this works pretty well for me: I arrive on the evening of the 1st Oct, and can easily fill the 2nd and 3rd with chores for my November climbing trip (which is through Project Himalaya, actually). I can almost certainly get KTM-Tumlingtar flights for 4th sorted out through PH (and Dasain is over on the 3rd - apparently a tough time to get tickets anywhere). I'm planning to fly back from Lukla on either 24th or 26th (not sure which yet, but I guess I'll have to make my mind up soon). I imagine you'll want to be up in the Khumbu for longer, but it's not a bad fit, and there are heaps of people up there at that time of year.

Andy

Panorama
25th September 2009, 05:42 PM
I get in on 30th sept. (for 7 weeks) I had Gokyo down as a possibility after going to Langtang first.
I have made a couple of trips to Nepal before but this year I have to cope with the effects of medication,(though they seem to be diminishing), hence the warm up trip. I have been walking a bit recently and have been pleased with my day rate so may well be up for going straight to Gokyo. I also fancy the long walk in, leaving the option to fly back from Lukla.

Andy K
29th September 2009, 12:37 PM
I have joined up with andyoxus (see his thread) for the (I fear) slightly masochistic route up via the Arun valley.