PDA

View Full Version : everest base camp next august

e cascettoni
29th April 2009, 07:22 PM
Hi to you all chicks and guys,
I'm a 32 y/o an from Italy going to "everest-base-camping" next august.
I've just read some reccomandations and, what I thought impossible at first, seem likley to be done. I'm not scared of rainfalls (a little bit more of leeches but, anyway...:eek: ). Togheter with my wife we'll arrive in Kathmandu on august the 9th and have 1 month before flying back to europe. we would like to trek on the everest base camp. what does worry me is the fact that in this period it seems not easy to find a flight betweeen kathmandu and lukla. I have some questions:
1) do you thik that, if not possible to fly to lukla, I can change my mind at the last moment and go to annapurna? do you think that I'll have to be ready to change plans eventually?
2) I would like to hire a guide (not porters, because I think I won't have such a huge backpack, last year experience had teched me a lot:rolleyes: ). do you suggest to contact one from here or go directly in kathmandu?
3) I am told that it'easy to find some good and cheap equipment in kathmandu. do you think I'll do better to buy there or to bring my own from italy?

many thanks to you all. i wait for your replies, feedback, experiences or whatever....

ciao :cool:

J

Per
30th April 2009, 01:11 AM
Why not walk in? Take a taxi to Jiri, then it is a five day hike to Namche. Friendly hotels all the way. It is a good way to get fit and acclimatised. No need for a guide.

We walked in in July and out in August. Really enjoyed Khumbu during the monsoon. Lots of people in the high valleys. Otherwise they only go up to cater to the trekkers.

e cascettoni
6th May 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Per :) ,
thank you for reply!
I also thought, at first, to walk from Jiri (and to tell you the truth I would like to) but that means 15 days EBC + 10 days (jiri-namche and return). I don't think we want to trek for 25 days. That's why we want to do go by plane. Anyway, I know it's better hike 10 days more than wait at the airport for a week or more :eek: .
Concerning guide, I'm quite confused :confused:. I would like to hire one, not because I'm scared of lose myself between the mountains and valleys, but because I like to spend some time with nepalese people that can give me better infos and feelings of Nepal, as being native. Moreover I consider to hire a guide not as an exploitation of 'poor people' but a way to give them a good job. Maybe I'm wrong but... well.. I don't really know...

ciao :cool:

J

Oli
6th May 2009, 08:06 PM
You could compromise by walking in & fly out. That way you get to see the Jiri trail for an extra 5 days trekking (with the benefits of acclimatisation)

By all means hire a guide if you wish to do so. Per says there is no need for a guide (quite correct) and he prefers to trek without one, but thats not to say that you shouldn't have a guide. Job creation is an excellent justification for doing so.

yakshaver
7th May 2009, 06:04 AM
You could compromise by walking in & fly out. That way you get to see the Jiri trail for an extra 5 days trekking (with the benefits of acclimatisation)

By all means hire a guide if you wish to do so. Per says there is no need for a guide (quite correct) and he prefers to trek without one, but thats not to say that you shouldn't have a guide. Job creation is an excellent justification for doing so.

Yes, and there are also other advantages for having a guide, job creation aside. My opinion is to get some support (like a guide or a porter-guide*) on your first trip to the Himalayas. Then you can decide othewise if you so wish. Obviously it is not your first trip.

*a porter-guide (usually a younger person, aspiring to be a guide, who will also carry some of your luggage) might be the better option if you are on your own or trekking just with one other person.