PDA

View Full Version : Question re: shoes in Kathmandu - please help!

DolphLundgren
1st April 2009, 11:45 AM
Hello--

I'm currently traveling in India, where I had my hiking shoes stolen recently. I'm planning to be in Nepal in a few weeks to do the Everest Base Camp Trek.

So far here in India I haven't been able to find a new pair of shoes big enough for me (I need a US 13 or UK 13), the biggest I've been able to find anywhere here--with quite a lot of looking--is a US 12 / UK 11.

I'll continue searching here, but in case I can't find anything, can anyone tell me what my chances are of finding a shoe that will fit my big feet in Kathmandu? Perhaps someone can suggest a place I might try looking when I get there?

I know it's not a great idea to trek with new shoes that haven't been broken in, but I may not have much of a choice. Thanks very much for any info!

Lars
2nd April 2009, 12:41 AM
If you have strong ankles you may very well be able to trek in a good pair of
sneakers.

I have trekked four times on the EBC and never had anything heavier than Nike
sneakers. Actually I have done half of the trek in sandals.

I think your chances of finding a pair of used size 13 is far greater in
Kathmandu than in India. Quite a few tourists sell their hiking shoes after the
trek rather than lugging them on around if they continue traveling in Asia for a
while.

Per
2nd April 2009, 02:55 PM
I have trekked four times on the EBC and never had anything heavier than Nike
sneakers. Actually I have done half of the trek in sandals.

I have also done it in sneakers, jogging shoes, and in many ways it is preferable as they are light and nimble. Going to the base camp and Kala Pattar it is just fine. When the season is warm one could probably cross Cho La in sneakers too but it is less recommendable as there is a lot of scree (where support around the ankles is useful) and one would certainly get wet feet.

yakshaver
3rd April 2009, 04:53 AM
Lars is right. There are zillions of equipment shops in Thamel, and they sell both new and used. Persevere, and you'll probably find what you need.