PDA

View Full Version : Single vs Double Boots for Island Peak in Oct

davebks
19th March 2009, 07:07 AM
Hello all,
I am heading to Everest Base Camp, Kala Patar, and Island Peak in October. I live in Colorado and want to get into more spring ascents, but I don't think a double boot is necessary for here.

Do you recommend a double boot for the Island Peak trip or would a single alpine boot work? Keeping in mind out of the whole month to EBC,etc, only two days will be on snow (island peak), most is on trail and I will just be using general hiking boots for that part. I want to have the right gear for this trip and would like to make a purchase soon so I can work them in a bit.

Thanks

yakshaver
19th March 2009, 11:23 AM
I recommend something along the lines of La Sportiva Makalu. It is a more rigid boot, without being a "total climbing" thing. You can trek the whole trek in it as well.

Petrus
19th March 2009, 01:20 PM
I would take heavy hiking/mountain boots for the Imja Tse climb and maybe an occacional snowy/muddy day on the trail. All other times go light and wear trail runners.

I have walked the whole Jiri-EBC-Jiri thing in ancient Adidas joggers (1985) climbing actually up to Lho La pass 6000m on Everest west ridge in those. So I see no need for separate hiking boots and heavier climbing boots, take semi-heavy ones and do not wear them unless really needed!