PDA

View Full Version : Weather

allaturca
5th March 2009, 11:32 PM
Greetings-

I'm teahouse trekking to EBC in May and wonder what temperatures I can expect. Can I get away with a 40 degree bag, sleeping in teahouses? Any input is appreciated!

allaturca

yakshaver
6th March 2009, 02:23 AM
If you fly into Lukla, the first couple of days will be warm. Above Namche it will get colder at night, but not anywhere near as cold as in December or January.

I don't know what 40 degrees means. But you'd still want a reasonably warm sleeping bag for the nights at Lobuche or Gorak Shep. Although the lodges will provide an extra blanket on requrest. Those blankets can be in various states of cleanliness, but they will do the job.

Another useful alternative is to have some good polyporpylene or wool long underwear, long sleeved top and long pants. I use those as pyjamas. If you're too cold in the bag, ad another layer on. Layering works in the bag at night, in the same way as it does while trekking during the day.

This way you don't have to purchase an expensive sleeping bag just for this trek.

Ok, I looked up the table. I assume you mean 40F. This equals 4.444444444444445 Celsius. I would personally be more comfortable with someting rated at least 0 degrees C (32 F) or below, but all ratings are relative. I would definitely not buy a new bag just for one trek, if the budget doesn't allow it. Use the layering technique if you get cold. Or perhaps persuade Scarlett Johannson to come along with you for the trek and share the bag.

allaturca
7th March 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks Yakshaver!