PDA

View Full Version : everest base camp in june - august..weather??

capaill
4th March 2009, 05:02 AM
Hi
I am thinking about EBC starting either June 20 or August 7 but am concerned about the rain. Is june better than august? and....

What is the rain pattern, are views very limited, leeches?, trail conditions muddy?,

thanks
derek

yakshaver
5th March 2009, 03:25 AM
August is definitely better than June, in my opinion. However sometimes very earlyy June is dry, if the monsoon starts late.

Either way, there is good chance of rain and cloud, although you should get some visibility maybe in the mornings.

If you fly into Luckla, it should not be to hot, but I suspect the trails, especially before Namche will have some muddy parts. Also on that stretch there can be the ocasional land slide caused by the rain. Though it is a pretty solid trail, not like in some other parts.

I trekked in July once and in June once, but on the AC, not in Khumbu. And a great part of the Annapurna Circuit is in the "rain shadow" provided by the Himalayas between the Bay of Bengal (where the monsoon is coming from) and Tibet.

By the way, why don't you consider that option?

You could start at Besi Sahar (or Kudi these days) go to Manang, cross Thorung La, and fly out at Jomsom, if you don't have time to do more of the AC.
Between Tal (or perhaps Dharapani) and Marpha or Dana or Kalopani, the weather on the AC is excellent during the monsoon. Mild temperatures, only the ocasional shower and reasonalby good visibility. It will be a lot better than Khumbu anyway.
Again for this, I suggest August as a better alternative to June.

Per
5th March 2009, 10:13 PM
Hi
Is june better than august?

Yes, August is generally regarded as the peak month of the monsoon. However, it is rather unpredictable, varies from year to year.

We hiked to Khumbu in July, and back in late August.

http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Khumbu/Khumbu92trek1.html

Had a splendid time. No bad torrential rains got us, and we had no problems with leeches, donīt think we got bitten at all.

Most important is to have plenty of time, to be able to stay put, if it is necessary. Every year there are disastrous downpours. Then, the best thing to do is to simply wait in a lodge, and to be able to do so without missing the flight home or where ever.

critter2722
11th March 2009, 06:47 AM
I did an August trek to EBC a couple years ago. I started from Jiri and had a very small problem with the leeches and no real problem with rain. Most days we were up early enough to make it to our destination before the rain started. And the days that I did get rained on between Jiri and Namche, I really didn't mind; it was really quite nice with the warmer temps. From Namche to EBC and back to Lukla, no rain during the day.

The only real problem that you can encounter in my limited experience, is being unlucky in catching clear days to see anything. I got lucky when I was Gorak Shep and got a great view of Everest from Kala Pattar. But it was after two days waiting for a good day. Like Per said, if you have the time, there is no problem. There are far less people around and you find yourself socializing with the Nepalese more.

Anyway...if you have any questions about trekking in August, send me a private message and I will get back to you.

best,

critter

Per
11th March 2009, 02:46 PM
We had plenty of views, of course it would vary with the time of the day, at times it would be really dense fog at others it would be brilliant sunshine. One certainly sees less of the great mountains some days. On the other hand what you see is more mysterious, more beuatiful. It is kind of comparable to stark nakedness, and wearing something that gives a touch of mystery.

http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Khumbu/Khumbu0042.jpg

We had some splendid days, like here camping at Gorakshep.

Another good thing is climate. On high elevation it is summer, all meadows and flowers, much friendlier than during other seasons. There are also many locals on higher elevation for summer pasture. In other seasons the tourist is generally speaking their only reason to the higher parts of Khumbu.

Verena
19th March 2009, 07:59 PM
Hi,
I went trekking in the Everest Region last August. The great advantage was that there were hardly any other trekkers. A disadvantage was the lack of mountain views. Although we didn't experience much rain it was very cloudy a lot of the time. We tried to see Everest from Gokyo Ri - no luck. Then at Kala Pattar we were luckier - although we had to wait 2 hours to see a semi-hidden Everest. Actually Nuptse - next to Everest seemed a lot more impressive than Everest itself.

The main problem we encountered was getting a plane back to Kathmandu on the return journey. Upon arrival in Lukla we discovered a large number of other trekkers in various stages of insanity because they had already been waiting for 7 days to get a flight out. Imagine packing your bags every morning - heading to the airport, checking in and looking longingly into the cloud covered distance - trying to hear the sound of aeroplane engines - only to be yet again disappointed. Talk about "Waiting for Godot". We did this once and then promptly began walking to Phaplu (another small town with an airstrip) about 3 days walk away - 2 days if you're walking like a very fast Nepali.

yakshaver
20th March 2009, 09:27 AM
Verena, so you managed to fly out of Phaphlu no preblem?

Per
23rd March 2009, 02:28 PM
The main problem we encountered was getting a plane back to Kathmandu on the return journey.

We did not even consider to fly. During the monsoon are few fligths. Think we only heard and saw planes one day in four weeks.

ganeshgiri
26th March 2009, 04:52 PM
i suggest you do this trekking in october. it will be better

Per
26th March 2009, 11:56 PM
i suggest you do this trekking in october. it will be better

Not necessarily, the monsoon in Khumbu has its charms. There are people in the high kharkas, there are a lot festivals and other things going on, there are few trekkers so the Sherpas tend to have more time and be more friendly, and I for one find the mountains even more beautiful and mysterious when there is a bit of cloud and mist. There are still plenty of views.