PDA

View Full Version : Trekking March/April

Katinkaowen
27th January 2005, 09:54 PM
According to the Lonley Planet book EBC isn't so good in March/April. Is it worth doing? Also, I would like to go on the most beautiful trek. Any advice?

yakshaver
28th January 2005, 05:57 AM
You ask a difficult question Katinka...
If I would have a limited amount of time for the trek itself (say 12-14 days) I would do Gokyo rather than EBC. Personal preference I suppose, but I find Gokyo more beautiful, and the posibilities for exploration up towards the 5th lake are marvellous. Plus, the view from Gokyo Ri are just as good as the ones from the Everest's Kalla Patar. In addition EBC itself (not the trek there!!!) is a bit of a dump, as a location and what you'll find there.

There is of course the posibility or doing Annapurna Circuit:18 days, just as amazing as anything in Everest, and more cultural diversity as you pass through 4-5 ethnic/religious groups territories, including Branmins, Manangis, Mustangis, Thakalis, Gurungs). Or if you want a shorter one Annapurna Sancturay (ABC), 8-9 days with views just as good as Gokyo's.

I hope this helps.

Please email me if you have any questions.

daniel.ionita@hp.com
or
dionita@optusnet.com.au

James
29th January 2005, 12:56 AM
While I can't comment on the Annapurna Circuit, I do most strongly agree with Yakshaver on picking Gokyo over EBC. Needless to say both are spectacular, however I found Gokyo to be superior in beauty and accommodations.

Gokyo offers three locations to view Everest from: Gokyo peak, the fifth lake and Renjo Pass (if you enter or exit the valley that way). Each of the five lakes are beautiful and the glacier is awe inspiring. Also going to Gokyo avoids staying Lobuche, a sad and dirty place, on the way to EBC.

yakshaver
29th January 2005, 03:15 AM
I realised I did not answer your question Katinka... The Himal is awesome at any time. I was there in April, and while the visibility at times is a bit hazy (in the middle of the day), it is still awesome. Mornings and late afternoons are as good as ever for visibility. For perfect visibility I prefer late December, which is very dry, and you have to put up with the -20 degrees at Gokyo or EBC.
I would not worry about taking the Lonely Planet too literaly... I will be there in the third week in March, going in the Anapurnas.

Unregistered
29th January 2005, 10:44 AM
Hello !

Contact to me for detail information about trekking seasons. Everest is excellent place for trekking but March will be cold over there but if you are confident it is ok ! You can see many peoples in Everest on March. If you are worry from coldness the you can choose Annapurna or Langtang region.

If you need more information, write me:

Email : prakashbtr@yahoo.com

Unregistered
23rd February 2005, 02:33 PM
According to the Lonley Planet book EBC isn't so good in March/April. Is it worth doing? Also, I would like to go on the most beautiful trek. Any advice?

Dear Sir / Madam
Namaste !

I have seen your add in Trekinfo.com. I am very much happy to help you above mantain trekking. I have One pax conforms booking from UK, Mr. Bill Jackson and he will be arrival in Nepal 27 April 2005 and he will fly over Lukla 29 April and his trek duration 13 days. If you would like to join in his trip please tell me your desire. I am always help you to make your trip very much memorable one. I am waiting for your news soon. Thanks.

With best regards

Damodar Dhakal
Kathmandu
Nepal
e-mail: envirotreks@imax.com.np

Katinkaowen
23rd February 2005, 08:42 PM
Hello Damodar

Thanks for the offer but I will frly to KTM on 4th April and have already arranged my trek.

Have fun!

Katinka

envirotreks
24th February 2005, 04:35 PM
Dear Sir

Thanks for your reply. have a nice trip with you. Best of luck. If you need any info please contact me at my e-mail. Thanks

Regards

Damodar

erika
25th February 2005, 09:01 AM
Hey all,
I've been a volunteer here in Nepal for the last few months and am meant to be trekking Everest base camp as my company has organised but unfortunately the rest of my group has pulled out of the trek. However as everything is paid for and guide and porter are sorted out I'm still going. I would like to maybe hook up with one or two other people that are maybe planning on heading on the EBC trek. I'm flying out on Monday the 28th to Lukla so if anyone can get a flight or wants to tag along please let me know. I'm a 22 year old Irish girl and I'm staying in the Yeti Guest home if you wanna get in touch. The phone number is 4701789 or 4700032. Or you can contact me at erika_rankin@hotmail.com
Hope to talk to some of you soon,
Erika

trekker02
27th May 2005, 07:16 PM
Hello,
Went to the Khumbu in November 02 and the weather was very comfortable to trek. Looking at going to Gokyo in Feb/March leaning towards the month of March. Can anyone give a concise description of what to expect?

trekker02
27th May 2005, 07:16 PM
Hello,
Went to the Khumbu in November 02 and the weather was very comfortable to trek. Looking at going to Gokyo in Feb/March leaning towards the month of March. Can anyone give a concise description of what to expect? in terms of average temp, whether its hazy during the day..etc