PDA

View Full Version : Just been there going back next chrismas

tfrank
17th November 2008, 06:28 AM
Had nice trek With the Santaman crew.Went to up to goropani and out over tadopani
And now my wife wants to go back next chrismas
for a new trek. So has anyone suggestions abaut a trek for lets say 14 days
with 2 kids 7 and 12. so not to high and not to cold:) . And mayby some suggestions for flight tickets (cheap)from scandinavia .
thanks in advance Tommy

cyclingpaul
17th November 2008, 03:54 PM
:) Hey Frank, sounds like a good trip! I did the same trek last year with my 3 kids aged 5, 7 and 9. Trip went well and was enjoyed by all.

I have just come back from doing another short trek with just my 8 year old son this time. We had 1 porter/guide, which was adequate for us.

We did part of the Helambu trek, then went over via the Laurebina La (4700m ) to Gosainkund, then went up the Langtang Valley to Kyangin Gompa, and back via the "high route" to Syabru Bensi. My son was OK with this ininerary and in fact we went quicker than the "Lonely Planet" schedule by 2 days.

Personally, I would recommend the Langtang trek as a good one for kids now that I have done it again. I had forgotten how good it was. There are lots of animals to see ( monkeys, yaks etc ) that will keep the kids interested, the lodges are good, the forest sections are beautiful, and the trail is in good condition as well. Once you are up at Kyangin Gompa there are lots of possibilities, either for rest or for further exploration and camping out.

I would recommend arranging a private jeep to go to and from Syabru Bensi ( the roadhead ) as the bus is not something to be undertaken lightly if you have any sense of self-preservation at all. 11 hours of terror.

There are also some very good treks in the Tamang heartlands on the other side of the Trisuli Khola, variously badged up as "Tamang Heritage Trail" or similar. If you want to get away from the crowds this might be a good area to investigate.

I have to say that the Helambu part of the trek was a disappointment, with a crummy eroded trail and very moderate lodges.

Happy Trekking!

Paul

yakshaver
18th November 2008, 12:23 AM
Thank you cyclingpaul, this is useful info.