PDA

View Full Version : Annapurna in January

schmo
10th November 2008, 06:10 PM
I'm planning on going to the Annapurna region in mid January. Can anyone recommend/warn about trekking in January in that area.

Landfall38
10th November 2008, 09:45 PM
More details are required as to where you wish to go.

Basically:
- most of main annapurna trails very trekkable and lodges open; middle hills quite comfortable

- it will be quite cold up high (MBC & ABC; Thorung Phedi to Muktinath]

- depending upon the snow this year, Thorung La and/or ABC/MBC areas may be snowed in and "closed" -- this usually resolves within a few days.

- with snow, danger of avalanches on trails to ABC/MBC substantially increase

- with warm clothes, footwear, and sleeping bag plus care and luck with weather, all regular trails possible

schmo
10th November 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the info Landfall,

To be more precise aboue things, I'm planning on being there around the 20th of january for about 3 - 4 weeks. I would like to do the Annapurna circuit but had heard reports of Thorung La being snowed out alright. Was just wondering if anyone has done this in January and is it unwise?

yakshaver
11th November 2008, 02:40 PM
Thorung La can be closed by snow in January. Not an absolute, but it has happened from time to time.

We've done it in late Dec 05, and it was cold but fine. Landfall's saying that even if the pas is closed, it usually opens in a few days. That's quite correct. Very rarely does the pass stay closed more than 3-4 days. But it means you need a bit more flexibility, a few days up your sleeve, more so than if yo'd go in in October-November, April, or July/August.

I must also say that even if you don't cross the pass, there are many areas around Manang and Pisang that are worth visiting, many side trips, worth walking. It would still be a very interesting trek, even if you don't cross Thorung La.

schmo
11th November 2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the information/

Excellent stuff. I'm flexible enough to feel at ease now so! Really looking forward to it all.

Michael Sunkist
11th November 2008, 10:58 PM
Nameste, great time of year to do the circuit. It gets mighty cold up towards Manang if you start that direction towards Throng La, you'll notice colder nites at about Pisang, but what a cool place to spend a few days. Stay old Pisang side to get better views from your lodge. Some years there was lots of snow crossing Throng La, others just cold but nice trail. If you are doing ABC and MBC it starts getting cold past Bamboo. This is also avalanche territory and you won't see it coming if it happens so be a bit aware. I've always had a hard time sleeping at MBC as it's so cold and high up. I hardly ever crash at ABC preferring to just walk up the next day and spend some quality time, mainly because it's colder and higher up. You'll see when you wake up repeatedly in the middle of the nite gasping for breath. But that's all part of the fun. Don't forget to use the hot springs at Jinadondu(?) doing ABC, or at Tattopani doing the circuit. Happy Trails

minialan
23rd November 2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks for all the information/

Excellent stuff. I'm flexible enough to feel at ease now so! Really looking forward to it all.

Will be heading to do the Annapurna sanctuary in mid Feb so once you have had your fab trip, please let us all know how it went and pass on any valuable info, cheers, alan

minialan
23rd November 2008, 11:19 PM
hi:) , will be heading to that region myself in mid Feb 09 so please let us all know how your trip went and any valuable info/advise would be appreciated. Cheers, Alan