PDA

View Full Version : I need to shorten this EBC/Gokyo route

kiwigirl
9th November 2008, 09:08 AM
I only have 20 days and this trip takes 25 days. where would be the best way to shorten trip apart from Cho la pass? and I have difficulty working out day 17. I am a slow trekker . . ..

Day 1 Lukla to Monjo
2 Monjo to Namche
3. Rest day
4. Namche to Tenboche
5. Rest day
6. Tenboche to Pheriche
7. Rest day
8. Pheriche to Dulga
9. Dulga to Lobuche
10. Lobuche to Gorak Shep
11. Gorak shep to base camp
12. Gorak shep to Kala Patter
13. Gorak shep to Lobuche
14. Lobuche to Pheriche
15. Pheriche to Pangbouche/Phortse
16. Rest day

17. this is where I get stuck as there seems to be no way from Phortse to Phortse Drengka

then if I get over,

18. Porse Drengka to Dole
19. Dole to Machemo
20. Machemo to Gokyo
21. Rest days stay 3 nights at Gokyo 20 and 21 and 22
23. Goyko to Phortse
24. Phortse to Namche
25. Namche to Lukla

Lonely Janet
9th November 2008, 11:03 AM
hiya...

good day to you.....

I think you could cut out some of those rest days, and the walk from the far side of the Cho La to Gokyo is pretty short...only a few hours...so you can probably cut out a day there as well.....

happy trails......

L J

rich
9th November 2008, 12:14 PM
try this way which i think is better

Day 1 Lukla to Phakding
2 Phakding to Namche
3. Rest day (walk to Thami or Khumjung/Khunde and back)
4. Namche to Tengboche
5. Tengboche to Dingboche (better than Pheriche)
6. Rest day (walk to Chukung or Ama Dablam lke and back)
7. Dingboche to Dugla (better for acclim than Lobuche)
8. Dugla to Lobuche
9. Lobuche to Gorak Shep (then visit base camp in afternoon)
10. Gorak shep to Kala Patar (for sunrise) then go down to Dugla or even Upper Pangboche
11. Upper Pangboche to Dole
12. Dole to Machermo
13. Machermo to Gokyo
14. Gokyo (walk up to 5th Lake)
15. Gokyo (Gokyo Ri) then down to Mong La
16. Mong la - Namche
could fit in some extra stops as you like but this is ok for acclimitisation.

kiwigirl
9th November 2008, 02:46 PM
thanks for that :)

how do I get to Dole from Pangboche, do I need to to that fork near Khumjung?

Oli
9th November 2008, 06:10 PM
...Phortse & Dole from Pangboche...?
The direct route, from Pangboche climb to Upper Pangboche (visit the Gompa) then along the trail to Phortse described here (http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43581&postcount=14). At the bottom of Phortse village the path descends through forest to the bridge over the river at Phortse Tenga and joins the main Namche - Gokyo trail. Turn upstream to Dole.

The indirect route from Pangboche on the main trail (via Tengboche) is somewhat further. Take a right turn before Khumjung at a place called Sanasa and head up towards Dole over Mong La.

rich
9th November 2008, 11:02 PM
By the way Oli, there IS a lodge in Thare (Phortse to Na - East side valley route). Nice place.

KiwiGirl
Definitely take the route from Upper Pangboche to Phortse. It is among the best of trails in the area. Do not go all the way back via Tengboche as it would be far too long to reach Dole in one day and covers the same ground you've already covered.

kiwigirl
10th November 2008, 12:32 AM
there is still no track on map crossing over to Dole from Phortse?:confused:

KiwiGirl
Definitely take the route from Upper Pangboche to Phortse. It is among the best of trails in the area. Do not go all the way back via Tengboche as it would be far too long to reach Dole in one day and covers the same ground you've already covered.[/QUOTE]

rich
10th November 2008, 01:31 AM
Hi
Suggest you try getting another map (many have notorious errors such as this). The trail crosses the river on a bridge at Phortse Tenga about 5-10 minutes below Phortse. Its a nice spot down by the river. Its another couple of hours climb up to Dole from there.

kiwigirl
10th November 2008, 01:50 AM
thanks for that. I have the Khumbu map, I will look for another one. there is sort of a route there but not that clear.
How long from upper Pangbouche to Phortse?:)

Hi
Suggest you try getting another map (many have notorious errors such as this). The trail crosses the river on a bridge at Phortse Tenga about 5-10 minutes below Phortse. Its a nice spot down by the river. Its another couple of hours climb up to Dole from there.

rich
12th November 2008, 09:22 AM
Pangboche-Phortse. From memory, probably a couple of hours. surely no more than three, tops. and dont forget to turn around. It is even better walking in the opposite direction with the best view of Ama Dablam straight ahead. Some precarious drops on one side.

Suginami
12th November 2008, 02:50 PM
I can never keep to schedules as I find something or somewhere so fascinating such as views of Ama Dablam and I just hang around. Also you are doing too much I think. Plus the dreaded Lukla return flight? What if it is not there?

You are doing to much in a short time. You could play it by ear and argue with your boss but not with the airline. I also write tons of schedules so I really sympathise and understand.

Oh fck it just take the extra days and do it all. The world is falling apart anyway.

Love

kiwigirl
12th November 2008, 04:20 PM
ok, so how many days would you allow for Gokyo and EBC? :)

I can never keep to schedules as I find something or somewhere so fascinating such as views of Ama Dablam and I just hang around. Also you are doing too much I think. Plus the dreaded Lukla return flight? What if it is not there?

You are doing to much in a short time. You could play it by ear and argue with your boss but not with the airline. I also write tons of schedules so I really sympathise and understand.

Oh fck it just take the extra days and do it all. The world is falling apart anyway.

Love

Escher
12th November 2008, 04:45 PM
Are you still wanting to only walk 2 hours a day? If so I think you need to do a much shorter trek. I would personally just go to Gokyo and hang out there.

Ps. If you click "post reply" in the bottom left hand corner under the last post instead of "quote" then you can avoid having to quote what has gone before you if don't wish to include it. Not sure if you know or not!

kiwigirl
12th November 2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks Escher :)

I have scrapped the 2 hour idea, I was just trying to keep everyone happy but I am not going to be able to do that.
I am thinking now that 2 guides are good idea because some in the group will want to do Cho La pass and some wont. plus I am nervous about the joining onto the Goyko track from EBC at the bottom so having a guide for that bit as well means we wont end up on the wrong trail.
We probably wont go back to that area again. so it seems to make sense to cover as much as we can. we were originally going to do just EBC but I saw some pictures of Gokyo at the Lodge when we stayed at Namche and they were awesome.
What I am trying to organise is a EBC/Gokyo trek at a relaxed pace. I thought 20 days would do it but I am obviously wrong.

Escher
13th November 2008, 12:10 AM
What I am trying to organise is a EBC/Gokyo trek at a relaxed pace. I thought 20 days would do it but I am obviously wrong.

Depends on your definition of relaxed. 20 days to do that trek is plenty of time. On the way up you'll have days of no more than 5 hours walking and many shorter than that. Obviously things like the Cho La will be bigger days but you build up to them, are fit and acclimatised and ready when you get there. On the way down you can do longer days if you are short of time. Anyone that can get up to those places is capable of hiking out fairly quickly if they need to. Gokyo to Lukla or Lobuche to Lukla is fine in 3 days for people who have been up high so you can gain back time on the way down. Personally I would just go with the flow and not plan everything out. Do the normal thing up to Gokyo and then you can decide what you want to do, stay in Gokyo for a bit longer, head for the Cho La, go down and around, whatever. Some people might want to go down and hang out in Namche for a while, some might want to go to EBC some won't. I wouldn't be too prescriptive just see what happens. For flexibility 2 guides is a good idea. Admittedly though planning the trip is half the fun but I am always happy to chuck out my plan as soon as I get to Nepal.

kiwigirl
13th November 2008, 12:21 AM
my friend who is coming to Nepal with me would be so impressed with you. she believes I go overboard with the planning :) I am going to NZ today and will see her so will show her your post :)

Lars
13th November 2008, 03:09 AM
Here is a picture looking back towards Pheriche from near Cho La, on our way
up, from East to West. Cho La is a tough one but definitely worth it.

http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Trek/Looking_back_from_ChoLa.jpg

Sharon
13th November 2008, 04:52 AM
Ah, that pic makes me so homesick!

Spaceman347
13th November 2008, 08:23 AM
Ah, that pic makes me so homesick!
Absolutely, I've been staring at it all day at work today, thanks lars.

rich
13th November 2008, 08:27 AM
Ha. Its been my desktop background for a few hours now too.
rich

kegarne
13th November 2008, 10:47 AM
Fk that is an amazing shot.....I am never posting my shitty pictures here again - you have put me to shame !

julia
13th November 2008, 03:30 PM
Wonderful photo, it defintitely brought back pangs of 'I want to be there now'. The snow makes it look even more magical.

What time of year was it?

J

Lars
13th November 2008, 04:16 PM
What time of year was it?J
That was Oct 31, 2003.

Half an hour later I took this one, from the snowy stretch right at the top, which makes so sure that the other one was from just before the top of the pass. We walked in snow for maybe an hour, no problem really.

http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Trek/ChoLa_top.jpg

RRainey
13th November 2008, 08:20 PM
Maybe I missed it but when are you going? I am starting my trek December 15
from Lukla and I am going through Gokyo and over the Cho La so maybe we will "run into" you ?

How many in your group? I am just with one friend. RR

kiwigirl
17th November 2008, 01:28 PM
They are awesome photos! :)

how did you know the way? there are only your tracks in the snow, cant see any markers? :confused:

kiwigirl
17th November 2008, 02:55 PM
Maybe I missed it but when are you going? I am starting my trek December 15
from Lukla and I am going through Gokyo and over the Cho La so maybe we will "run into" you ?

How many in your group? I am just with one friend. RR

Actually I am not going back to Nov/Dec 2010 . . . . . . . .:(
I am having 2 ear operations next year in 2009, 5 months between each and they cost a fortune plus it is awkward to fly at that time. the pressure in the planes can cause problems at that time etc

so far apart from myself I have 2 definites and two half definites who will be coming with me at that time :)

RRainey
17th November 2008, 08:05 PM
Actually I am not going back to Nov/Dec 2010 . . . . . . . .:(
I am having 2 ear operations next year in 2009, 5 months between each and they cost a fortune plus it is awkward to fly at that time. the pressure in the planes can cause problems at that time etc

so far apart from myself I have 2 definites and two half definites who will be coming with me at that time :)

Wow, and I though I planned ahead! I normally only go one year out 2010 is a mystery. Next year is Peru.

why dosn't insurance cover the operations?

kiwigirl
18th November 2008, 12:27 AM
Wow, and I though I planned ahead! I normally only go one year out 2010 is a mystery. Next year is Peru.

why dosn't insurance cover the operations?

if I manage to get people to go with me I plan to do hire a cruise boat and cruise the Whitsundays in 2011 . . .. . . .

They are Cochlear implants. they insert a stream of electrodes into the cochlear. the insurance does cover the surgery ($20,000 each time) both times but there are lots of programming appointments, they have to programe each electrode, simialr to a key in a piano being tuned. Takes 1- 2 hours. so they do one electrode each week plus there are all the pre op stuff. will cost me between $10,000 and $12,000 all up :)

Spaceman347
18th November 2008, 03:04 AM
... They are Cochlear implants.......

Are these the ones that enable you to stick magnets to your head? I know a friend's child you had this done many years ago and she loved the fact that she could get magnets sit on the side of her head :D I guess the technology has probably changed since then though.

RRainey
18th November 2008, 04:05 AM
Kiwigirl

Wow, sorry to Hear that, no pun intended. Is there not some limitation on altitude- climbing or flying? Can you hear at all now? Please just ignore this if these question are too personal.

kiwigirl
18th November 2008, 10:05 AM
Are these the ones that enable you to stick magnets to your head? I know a friend's child you had this done many years ago and she loved the fact that she could get magnets sit on the side of her head :D I guess the technology has probably changed since then though.

yep they are the same ones, sounds like I am going to have some fun with them :D

kiwigirl
18th November 2008, 10:36 AM
Kiwigirl

Wow, sorry to Hear that, no pun intended. Is there not some limitation on altitude- climbing or flying? Can you hear at all now? Please just ignore this if these question are too personal.

the only limitation on flying is that the magnetic part sets off all the alarms! great fun! :D I just cant fly too soon after op. not normally a problem. As far as I know there shouldnt be any problem with climbing altitude. I havent been told anything different.
I mostly lipread. can hear a bit just not much. It was caused by an accident during delivery. because I got stuck, they used forceps to pull me out and applied too much pressure.

Suginami
20th November 2008, 05:26 PM
dont think you can actually.

kiwigirl
21st November 2008, 01:14 AM
dont think you can actually.

dont think I can what???:confused:

Suginami
21st November 2008, 05:08 AM
shorten it

kiwigirl
21st November 2008, 12:40 PM
shorten it

Ah!!:D

I was worried you meant that I could never climb again at with the ear operations :D

I am thinking now of just doing Goyko and the fast ones they can go over to EBC if they want to while the rest of us enjoy extra days at Goyko. it would be more relaxing. but I will probably change my mind a hundred times before I go. :D

kiwigirl
22nd November 2008, 03:58 PM
can people give me views on this one, have I got the times right? :D

Day 1 Lukla to Monzo (I like Monzo better than Phakding as it is closer to that steep hill so makes for a shorter day on day 2) 5 hours
2 Monzo to Namche 6 hours
3. Rest day
4. Namche to Tengboche 5 hours
5. Tengboche to Dingboche 5 and a half hours
6. Rest day
7. Dingboche to Dugla 3 hours
8. Dugla to Lobuche 3 hours
9. Lobuche to Gorak Shep 3 hours
10. Gorak shep to Upper Pangboche 6 and a half hours
11. Upper Pangboche to Dole 4 hours
12. Dole to Machermo 2 hours
13. Machermo to Gokyo 4 hours
14. Gokyo Rest Day
15. Gokyo Rest Day
16. Gokyo to Mong La 8 hours
17. Mong la - Namche 4 hours
18. Namche to Lukla 5 hours

kiwigirl
22nd November 2008, 04:07 PM
I am not planning on sticking to a strict schedule but I need to make sure I have times etc more or less correct to give others options. I plan to move it up to 25 days then we can stop when we like for an extra day somewhere. but I still need to know if I have the times more or less correct between those main places :D

Landfall38
22nd November 2008, 09:31 PM
Excuse me if I've missed something here (I have not been following thread)...

I am not sure how fast your folks are, but:

Gokyo to Mong La in one day is a tough haul -- we were pretty tired by Phortse Tenga

Namche to Lukla in a day is possible but also a long day.

What's the rush?

What about pre-trek? Are you giving your group time (several days) to visit the Kathmandu Valley sites?

kiwigirl
23rd November 2008, 01:55 AM
Excuse me if I've missed something here (I have not been following thread)...

I am not sure how fast your folks are, but:

Gokyo to Mong La in one day is a tough haul -- we were pretty tired by Phortse Tenga

Namche to Lukla in a day is possible but also a long day.

What's the rush?

What about pre-trek? Are you giving your group time (several days) to visit the Kathmandu Valley sites?

we are both fast and slow.
how long did it take you to get to Phortse Tenga?
Namche to Lukla is fine, did that last time. it was great spending nearly all day on the trek on an easy stretch.
2 and a half days to see the Valley:)

rich
23rd November 2008, 02:40 AM
Re your return from Gokyo, Landfall is probably right it is a long walk from Gokyo to Mong La, but you should be walk-fit and acclimatised by then and its mostly down hill. Should be possible depending on the group.
From memory last time I was there there, there are no lodges at Phortse Tenga, so its either stay at Dole, Mong La or divert up to Phortse.

An alternative option might be to return on the other side of the valley, staying at Thare (via Na) then on to Mong La or further via Phortse for some different views taking an half/day or extra day.

kiwigirl
23rd November 2008, 03:42 AM
what about going up to Thare from Upper Pangbouche and staying on that side on the way up to Gokyo then crossing over na and coming back down to Namche through Dole?:)

Suginami
23rd November 2008, 03:54 AM
Namche to Lukla is a really hard slog. It goes up and up and up to Lukla. Plus you have to hope your flights are OK. Good birding along that stretch.

Landfall38
23rd November 2008, 05:28 AM
Re your return from Gokyo, Landfall is probably right it is a long walk from Gokyo to Mong La, but you should be walk-fit and acclimatised by then and its mostly down hill. Should be possible depending on the group.
From memory last time I was there there, there are no lodges at Phortse Tenga, so its either stay at Dole, Mong La or divert up to Phortse.

An alternative option might be to return on the other side of the valley, staying at Thare (via Na) then on to Mong La or further via Phortse for some different views taking an half/day or extra day.

There is at least one good lodge in Phortse Tenga in Dec 2005 (and at least 1 other lodge that is so-so).

I don't remember how many hours, but it was a long day and our legs were pretty tired from the all day downhill.

kiwigirl
23rd November 2008, 11:31 AM
ok so how does this one sound :)

Day 1 Lukla to Monzo 5 hours
2 Monzo to Namche 6 hours
3. Rest day
4. Rest Day
5. Namche to Tengboche 5 hours
6. Tengboche to Dingboche 5 and a half hours
7. Rest day
8. Dingboche to Dugla 3 hours
9. Dugla to Lobuche 3 hours
10. Lobuche to Gorak Shep 3 hours
Two will go over Cha La with one guide so those ones would have extra time to spend at Gorak Shep
The others will make their way to Goyko with the second guide.
11. Gorak shep to Upper Pangboche 6 and a half hours
21. Upper Pangboche to Thare ? hours
13. Thare to Machermo ? hours
14. Machermo to Gokyo 4 hours
15. Gokyo Rest Day
16. Gokyo Rest Day
17. Gokyo to Dole 5 hours
18. Dole to Namche 6 hours
19. Namche to Lukla 5 hours

rich
23rd November 2008, 11:51 AM
You will have to back track a short while back down the valley to reach Machermo from Thare. You could probably just about go all the way to Gokyo from Thare.

There is a tea house at Pangka (on the ridge west and above Na). You could have lunch there. So no need to go back to Machermo anyway.

kiwigirl
23rd November 2008, 11:57 AM
You will have to back track a short while back down the valley to reach Machermo from Thare. You could probably just about go all the way to Gokyo from Thare.

There is a tea house at Pangka (on the ridge west and above Na). You could have lunch there. So no need to go back to Machermo anyway.

Wow, thats great:) how long does it take to get to Goyko from Thare? :D

lazy climber
26th November 2008, 04:22 AM
We are doing this trek in April 09. If you cut out Island Peak that would give you lots of time for other things. We are going over the Khongma La (?) pass between Lobuche and Chukhung on the way to Island.

Day 01: Fly to Lukla and trek to Phakding
Day 02: Namche Bazaar
Day 03: Rest at Namche Bazaar
Day 04: PhortseThanga
Day 05: Maccharmo
Day 06: Gokyo
Day 07: Gokyo Ri ( 5483m. ) - Thagnak
Day 08: Cho La Pass - Zhongla
Day 09: Lobuche
Day 10: Kalapatthar - Lobuche
Day 11: Chukhung
Day 12: Island Peak base camp
Day 13: Summit - Chukhung
Day 14: Spare day for summit
Day 15: Tengboche / Pangboche
Day 16: Namche
Day 17: Lukla
Day 18: Lykla - Kathmandu by flight.

Spaceman347
26th November 2008, 05:43 AM
That's a pretty tight schedule there Lazy Climber, not much room for contingencies.

Escher
26th November 2008, 12:37 PM
We are doing this trek in April 09. If you cut out Island Peak that would give you lots of time for other things. We are going over the Khongma La (?) pass between Lobuche and Chukhung on the way to Island.

Day 01: Fly to Lukla and trek to Phakding
Day 02: Namche Bazaar
Day 03: Rest at Namche Bazaar
Day 04: PhortseThanga
Day 05: Maccharmo
Day 06: Gokyo
Day 07: Gokyo Ri ( 5483m. ) - Thagnak
Day 08: Cho La Pass - Zhongla
Day 09: Lobuche
Day 10: Kalapatthar - Lobuche
Day 11: Chukhung
Day 12: Island Peak base camp
Day 13: Summit - Chukhung
Day 14: Spare day for summit
Day 15: Tengboche / Pangboche
Day 16: Namche
Day 17: Lukla
Day 18: Lykla - Kathmandu by flight.

No contingency as Spaceman says - so hopefully you don't need to fly home on day 19, if you do I would reconsider going to Kala Pattar. I would make a couple of adjustments though. I wouldn't do Phortse Tenga to Machhermo that's too big a jump (3650-4450m), instead I would do Mong La or Dole and gain the day back by gong onto Lobuche from Dzongla the same day after the Cho La. Also you can go up Gokyo Ri the same evening you arrive if you are feeling ok and explore up the valley the next day. The opportunity to explore up the Gokyo valley should not be missed and I would rather take an extra day if I needed it to do that.

In 2004 we did:-

Day 01: Lukla to Monjo 2650
Day 02: Namche Bazaar 3450
Day 03: Khumjung 3800
Day 04: Dole 4100
Day 05: Phang 4500
Day 06: Gokyo - Gokyo Ri 4750
Day 07: Gokyo 6th lake - Thagnak 4750
Day 08: Cho La Pass - Dingboche 4250
Day 09: IPBC 4950
Day 10: Summit - Dingboche

However for the purposes of this thread I wouldn't recommend either of our itineraries to Kiwigirl as they both contain too fast ascent rates such as Phortse Tenga to Machhermo, break the standard rules and do not have enough rest days compared to what would be recommended. But if you are that way inclined - fast acclimatisers and fit then they are doable.

lazy climber
26th November 2008, 10:23 PM
Yes, you are correct that there is very little room for slow hikers, weather or sickness.

None of us have hiked/climbed above 14k but most of us are climbers so we are using that as our excuse and hopefully we will do OK, we could be wrong. We are using porters so we do not have the heavy packs we are used to hauling, the daily walk is in general shorter and less elevation gain than we normally do, but it will be at higher elevations than we are used to so that may be a wash.(wishful thinking)

Most of us will be climbing through the winter so we should be in fair shape for this.

And of course, we are going to have a good time, so if we are slow or someone gets sick and we do not get the whole trek done, so be it, we still will have a good time.

Our flights out of KTM are 4 days after we are scheduled to finish the trek, just in case.

I have a daughter working in Banepa this year and she has doen some trekking in the Annapurna District. Knowing how our group hikes and climbs she figured we would be OK with the schedule as long as no one got too sick.
Hopefully we have not planned something more than we can handle. I wil let everyone know how it went when ( if ) we return.

Suginami
1st December 2008, 01:33 PM
Tum ti tum tim tim