PDA

View Full Version : Yakshaver trekking (and shaving yaks...) in March 2005

yakshaver
14th December 2004, 03:48 AM
NOTE: now arriving in KTD in the first few days of April. This is due to my son deciding to accompany me, and he can only take time off school during school holidays.

Appart from shaving yaks not sure what I will do at this stage. This will be my sixth trip to the Kingdom, God willing. Maybe AC and with Tilicho. Maybe Kanchenjunga. Maybe even a trekking peak in Khumbu. Or Langtang/Helambu. Anything's possible. It depends on who else decides to come with me, and what my inspiraton is on the day I land at Tribhuvan International Airport. Whether my possible companions are more on the beginner side, or if they have some yakshaving experience... I feel like a yakshaver before a hirstute heard of mighty yaks. I welcome any contact & discussion for trekking starting around 3 April.

Boulia
16th December 2004, 01:34 AM
I am interested in a trek about the same time... I am seeking your views on the possible impact of elections that are reproted, although not confirmed as far as i know, to be set down for April. I have been to Nepal 3 times in the past 2 years so also realise its anyone's guess how or if elections will be held. I am interested in your view as you do seem close to the situation in Nepal. Thanks.

kipa
18th December 2004, 08:55 PM
mybe? therefore answer ===> www.yskesecusprog.com (linoczka.blox.pl/html)

yakshaver
21st December 2004, 08:44 AM
Boulia (and everyone else...),

Sorry to do this to you! I have changed my arrival date in Nepal, and brought it forward by about two months. Meaning I will be in Nepal from about 2 April to 24 April. If you make it at that time, please let me know.

Regarding the elections, I personally don't think they will happen. Or if they do, they will be postponed beyond April. It is not an easy political situation in Nepal, for the various parties to agree to elections, and for the King to nominate a date. Even if they do, I don't think they will cause much hassle for tourists. I mean, just the usual stuff, with bandths every now and then. I was there in April when the five agitating parties were really agitating and demonstrations were taking place every day in Kathmandu. I never felt unsafe, and I enven went to have a look near Ratna Park on my way to Austrian Airlines Office.

Unregistered
24th December 2004, 09:30 AM
Hi Yakshaver

I have a commitment at end of March and end of April - so unlikely i will do anything other than go for all of April or all of May. I have an offer to go in May as a friend is doing some documentary work in Namche. Like you, I don't really expect the elections to be held. My guess is another round of peace talks and casefire will have to happen first and that will need some months to prove it holds.

Enjoy your trip

Cheers

yakshaver
11th January 2005, 08:48 AM
No worries. Have fun. If you happen to be in KTD around 10 April post a note... We'll have a drink in Thamel.

yakshaver
8th February 2005, 08:34 AM
Because my son is now accompanying me, and he can only take time off during the school holidays, I am now arriving in Kathmandu on 2nd of April.
If anyone wants to have a coffee, drink, get yakshaving experience, whatever - at Rum Doodle perhaps, on the 2nd or the 3rd of April - please post something here.

yakshaver
23rd March 2005, 07:12 AM
Dissapointing as this is, I had to postpone my visit to Nepal for the Autumn season... A lot of work, a boss who's implying I need to be here for the next three months, and some personal busines made me change my plans. The positive is that I am getting to know more about the Naar and Phu valleys, an exciting area to visit of the Annapurna Circuit trail, and I would not have had the time to find information and plan for this, were I to visit next week as originally planned.
I apologise to all who planned to get a beer from me at Rum Doodle in April... I have to make it up to them somehow...

Don Gibson
23rd March 2005, 01:43 PM
Yak, I'm really sorry to hear that. Next time you're in London (or I'm in Oz), something will have to be done. Hope the work doesn't grind you down...

yakshaver
29th March 2005, 07:46 AM
Agree Don. If your travels take you to Sydney please let me know. I will give you my details to get in touch. I will be going to Nepal, but will land there 30 Sept... I find it difficult to delay gratification. But the alluring call of the Naar and Phu valleys kind off sweeten things up a bit.

Don Gibson
29th March 2005, 04:33 PM
If only I knew.... We stopped in at Sydney for a few days on my honeymoon in September. Stayed at the Intercontinetal, overlooking the bridge and the opera house. Went and got 'merry' (read legless) at the opera bar, and around circular quay....

To put it basically, we want to go and live and work over there for a few years.

yakshaver
29th March 2005, 05:13 PM
You are most definitely welcome to get in touch and meet whenever you decide to come around, or even before that, if you need any info etc...

Don Gibson
29th March 2005, 06:54 PM
Sweet! Thank you Sir!