PDA

View Full Version : Best underwear

Suginami
21st October 2008, 06:53 PM
no I am not being silly but underwear is the closest thing to your skin and if it rubs and chafes then you are in trouble. You can develop sores, skin abrasions and simply something that really irritates you.

I know typical underwear is one thing but when you are way out in the middle of the mountains and all you want to do is take pictures or go birding you do not need something that bothers you.

I use seamless Calvin Clines because there is no chaffing and they are really easy to wash.

For women who have to deal with a bra I wonder what it best.

Sports wear or outdoor sport and activity wear has come a long way so I would seriously like to hear about people who have discovered brands that really do the job.

American sports outdoor shops are wonderful.

Sharon
21st October 2008, 07:56 PM
Icebreaker has some merino underwear. I haven't tried it but I use their mid weight tops when trekking.
Nike has good sports bras that are not too heavy a weight for drying quickly. Patagonia as well has some good sports bras.

RRainey
21st October 2008, 08:27 PM
One word. Smartwool. It is not stinky when it dries like that awful campaline! and its warm when wet. I love it !

Escher
21st October 2008, 10:51 PM
The only trouble with Icebreaker merino is the moths love it! When my luggage was stuck in KTM for 7 months they took a real fancy to my merino boxers (there's a first time for everything) and now they are even more functional as they have extra vents to deal with hot weather. I wouldn't want to be wearing them if I got run over, my mum would be mortified. :D

Petrus
21st October 2008, 11:28 PM
I still wear loose fitting cotton undies, then on top of them long johns, syntetic stuff if not all that cold, merino wool if below zero all the time. Tight pants break the skin, just not enough ventilation, and that rotting smell is not nice... Have to air certain parts in the evening.

Landfall38
22nd October 2008, 12:46 AM
So now I understand!

I just found some holes in my relatively new Merino wool T-shirt -- couldn't figure it out (Do I really smell that bad? :eek: nah...:cool: )

Damn moths.

yakshaver
22nd October 2008, 02:58 AM
Earth Sea Sky, it is also made in NZ like Icebreaker, but a lot more refined. Their wool undies are heaven (short of Scarlett Johanson) and their silk t-shirts just magnificent. Almost like gently leaning against Scarlett's skin. Amazing.

I have no problems with moths. Clean up your houses guys. Use moth balls if necessary. It is all worth it.

Sharon
22nd October 2008, 05:51 AM
Moths? I guess they can't live through our cold winters. I'll have to google earth seas sky. I do find that Icebreaker has really upped their game. THey are very stylish now. I drive myself crazy looking at the stuff in Escape Route which is just across the parking lot. Smart wool has the merino wear now but I find it not very refined.

Spaceman347
22nd October 2008, 08:59 AM
I normally find anything in leather feels nice against the skin...... oh, sorry, wrong forum :p

yakshaver
22nd October 2008, 12:02 PM
Icebreaker has some merino underwear. I haven't tried it but I use their mid weight tops when trekking.
Nike has good sports bras that are not too heavy a weight for drying quickly. Patagonia as well has some good sports bras.

I was just going to say... I love the Nike sports bras!

deserteyes
22nd October 2008, 02:47 PM
Yakshaver you are hilarious!

Does the merino wool dry quickly though?

P.S. Suginami so are you! (I think intentionally anyway) Wouldn't have immediately placed the underwear thread in the safety and travel information category. But then again, as Escher says, if you get run over, you can't be too careful.

julia
22nd October 2008, 07:40 PM
I was just going to say... I love the Nike sports bras!

Have you personally tried the Nike sports bra YS, or do they just look good on the LYW, I mean Scarlett? Just interested, you know, it's nice to have personal information about a product don't you think!

I haven't tried Merino undies yet, maybe I should, I used nylon ones while doing the AC as they are easier to dry, but maybe I will think about trying the merinos. Cotton ones are more comfy, but dont dry so easy, and if you are really hot and sweating, they get really damp, hope that does not sound too personal!

It would be nice not to have to wear a bra, you men are so lucky in that department, but alas, needs must, maybe I should be grateful I need one, I just go for the normal plain smooth ones, you only need sports ones when out running as there is obviously more bounce going on, and it does get painful when that happens.

But I agree, if your'e undies are not right, then nothing is....

yakshaver
22nd October 2008, 08:34 PM
Have you personally tried the Nike sports bra YS, or do they just look good on the LYW, I mean Scarlett? Just interested, you know, it's nice to have personal information about a product don't you think!

I haven't tried Merino undies yet, maybe I should, I used nylon ones while doing the AC as they are easier to dry, but maybe I will think about trying the merinos. Cotton ones are more comfy, but dont dry so easy, and if you are really hot and sweating, they get really damp, hope that does not sound too personal!

I can neither confirm nor deny anything about the issue of me wearing bras.

Secondly, the Earth Sea Sky, or Icebreaker underwear, wether merino or silk, does not stink on me for a week. So if you have three of everything, you can do most treks without washing. Of course I have one of those small holdalls, where I store used unwashed stuff, to keep it separate.
And at night I change into the night longjohns and long sleeve stuff, also merino wool (I have two pair of those), so no washing for this kookie during the last Gokyo trek. On my last night in Lukla before flying out, I wore the clean non wool stuff.
Wash less, use merino wool undies, use less water and detergent = save the environment.

Finally, I do use "wet ones" (serviettes that is, do not think of anything silly...), to clean the essential bits every evening and morning. The I apply some deodorant (usually Hermes, or maybe Chanel Allure Sport for Men; sometimes L'eau d'Issey by Issey Myaki). Appart from beying more attractive to Scarlett, I heard this wards off LYW who apparently prefers the "natural" musky odour, in men.

yakshaver
22nd October 2008, 08:39 PM
Yakshaver you are hilarious!

Does the merino wool dry quickly though?

P.S. Suginami so are you! (I think intentionally anyway) Wouldn't have immediately placed the underwear thread in the safety and travel information category. But then again, as Escher says, if you get run over, you can't be too careful.

Deserteyes,

No I am not. Secondly, please have a look at my rant on the philosophy of wearing wool or silk undies in my reply to Julia. It will cover the aspect of washing/drying and the need (or not) thereof.

Finally, P.S. Sugi is a cracker, especially when he gets angry...

Landfall38
22nd October 2008, 08:50 PM
does not stink on me for a week. So if you have three of everything, you can do most treks without washing.

You're either very lucky or forgot to ask what your travel/trekking companions thought....

deserteyes
22nd October 2008, 10:58 PM
Deserteyes,

No I am not.

Oh yes you are. I actually had a (laugh out loud) belly laugh reading your "rant" to Julia.

Got to say, I do feel sorry for the LYW. All those years of going to Nepal, and you still shun her.

yakshaver
22nd October 2008, 11:24 PM
You're either very lucky or forgot to ask what your travel/trekking companions thought....

Honestly, try it. I must say I do most of my treks in winter. Merino wool knickers and t-shirt while you walk. Get to your room in the evening, undress. Don't do anything silly. Take out one medium size wet serviette. Apply with purpose underams, groin area, etc.
Put on the merino "pijamas" liek Icebraker or Earth Sea Sky longjohns and long sleeve shirt.
Revers exercise in the morning.

While around other trekkers in the lounge of the lodge, do not act self conscious or smell your underarms.

kiwigirl
23rd October 2008, 02:57 AM
....... are there no showers at the lodges on the Goyko trek . . ... .

Honestly, try it. I must say I do most of my treks in winter. Merino wool knickers and t-shirt while you walk. Get to your room in the evening, undress. Don't do anything silly. Take out one medium size wet serviette. Apply with purpose underams, groin area, etc.
Put on the merino "pijamas" liek Icebraker or Earth Sea Sky longjohns and long sleeve shirt.

While around other trekkers in the lounge of the lodge, do not act self conscious or smell your underarms.

RRainey
23rd October 2008, 04:58 AM
Why not use the basin of warm water and a washcloth to wash your hair,underarms etc. I'm sticking to that!

In a more personal Post "bathroom" hygeine, I go for the soap and water routine and forgo toilet paper for the duration of treks.

Landfall38
23rd October 2008, 05:35 AM
In a more personal Post "bathroom" hygeine, I go for the soap and water routine and forgo toilet paper for the duration of treks.

OK guys ... WAY too much detail! :eek:

Suginami
23rd October 2008, 08:23 AM
I pop into Uniqlo where they have this new fibre that feels like nylon but breathes and lets the sweat out but retains heat. The tee shirts feel kind of slippy slidey but dont stick like cotton.

But only cotton next to the crown jewels dears. Kalvins with no seams and very washable. Don:t leave them out to dry or someone will steal them.

As for washing. I use wet wipes which I burn along the trail somewhere.

Plus deodorant. Roll on type which is very refreshing.

I use shampoo for all my washing not mushy soap. Either way this polutes the rivers

yakshaver
23rd October 2008, 10:32 AM
....... are there no showers at the lodges on the Goyko trek . . ... .

There are, sort off. But would you really have a shower at Dole, Marchermo or Gokyo in December? Wouldn't think so.
I shower at Namche, usually at the hotel with the same name, on the way up, and then a week or so later, on the way down. Good showers too...

kiwigirl
23rd October 2008, 02:16 PM
Why wouldnt I shower in December, are the showers cold? dont they have solar heating after Namche? we plan just to walk 2 hours each day once we leave Namche and do both Gokyo and EBC so we will be staying in lots of teahouses... are you saying they dont have rooms with bathrooms........do they have teahouses . .. . ..

There are, sort off. But would you really have a shower at Dole, Marchermo or Gokyo in December? Wouldn't think so.
I shower at Namche, usually at the hotel with the same name, on the way up, and then a week or so later, on the way down. Good showers too...

julia
23rd October 2008, 03:33 PM

Can you just imagine having a shower at Gokyo in December!! Brrrr, :eek: The thought of it makes me feel really cold. Even in April there was no way I was taking my clothes off, well, I did for a wash, but standing in a unheated shower room with hot water that will turn to icicles in seconds, no thanks!

Even in Namche it was cold, I cant remember the name of the lodge, the shower was hot, but trickled out so slowly you took ages to get wet, then it would stop start all the time, and it was so so cold, no, no showers for me higher up, much easier to have a hot bowl of water in your room and wash exsposed parts a bit at a time. Chilly chilly, wet hair in cold temperatures not good, and its not as if you will be taking a hair dryer, wet hair, cold body, no heating in the lodge, snow and ice out side, no big log fires roasting your toes, just cold.

Actually it does get warm in SOME of the lodges when they lite the stoves, the one I was in at Gokyo, no matter how much fuel they put into that little stove, it did not get warm, sat with duvet jackets on, hat, gloves, lots of socks, it was COLD! :cool:

Spaceman347
23rd October 2008, 04:32 PM
Yep, I think Julia summed it up pretty well there. Definitely no showers "up high", not in December anyway. (it might be more tempting at midday if the sun is high and shining strong but probably not).

I don't think there are any "rooms with bathrooms" as in ensuites (or "attached bath" in trekking speak) above Namche.

As Julia pointed out although the water may be hot (warm), the room (or tin garden shed outside) is often freezing cold so it's not a lot of fun, particularly getting dry and dressed afterwards.

The "upmarket" eco trekking lodge in Lobuche has an indoor shower (and toilet) but the water pipes as well as the toilet itself was frozen into a solid block of ice when I was there in Dec 2005. I was pretty tempted to pay for a room but sleep in the dining room with the porters as it was warmer in there than in the rooms. brrrr!

The eco trekking lodge in Khumjung has great shower (although you have to give them 3-4 hours notice so they can ... light the fire to heat the water or whatever it is they need to do)

Suginami
23rd October 2008, 04:55 PM
no showers high up, that's right. a bowl of hot water and the edge of a towel to wipe away a bit of grime on the face and then roll on for the pits. wet wipes are good for other parts

I tie my hair up in a bandana to look really hot. Lots of face cream night and day.

I take several pair of underwear to change into. This way I feel fresher each day and it makes the hiking better.\\

and for those who forgo using toilet paper I hope you have a good way of cleaning your hands. I hate to meet nail biters along the way

Sharon
23rd October 2008, 08:12 PM
I washed my hair in Gokyo using lake water. It froze.
The tea houses in the Khumbu area are NOT like many of those in the Annapurna area. I always have a nice shower in Pheriche. IT is a lodge set back behind the clinic, very nice. I also had a great on in Dingboche. Course Dec would be a different story..

RRainey
23rd October 2008, 08:19 PM
and for those who forgo using toilet paper I hope you have a good way of cleaning your hands. I hate to meet nail biters along the way

Ok, I don't get this.Using toilet paper how is that cleaner?. One quart of water (keep in bottle in sleeping bag) soap, use most of it then rest to wash hands with soap (liquid)

I am going to be the cleanest man on the mountain. I plan to have my hair short, and yes I will wash my face and hair daily, dry, put warm clothes on.

You guys have me thinking I should bring some vapo rub to put under my nose from all the stinky people!

kiwigirl
24th October 2008, 02:17 AM
:) we will go in October/early Nov now instead of Dec :)

I washed my hair in Gokyo using lake water. It froze.
The tea houses in the Khumbu area are NOT like many of those in the Annapurna area. I always have a nice shower in Pheriche. IT is a lodge set back behind the clinic, very nice. I also had a great on in Dingboche. Course Dec would be a different story..

RRainey
24th October 2008, 03:09 AM
:) we will go in October/early Nov now instead of Dec :)

Are we not now in Late October and close to early Nov? Are you talking about next year?

The temperatures may be a few degress warmer but hardly balmy by any stretch a little earlier. December has less people and is the clearest time weather wise. Cold is a state of mind.

We are not talking about 50 below here.

Suginami
24th October 2008, 08:06 AM
December is my favourite time to trek despite the cold which doesn`t bother me. Bed before nine always. The days are so clear and even the nights are amazing.

I have never really noticed anyone stinking. Its quite barnyardy in most towns and I like that smell. But a little touch of patuouli is quite refreshing.

I don`t use toilet paper but wet wipes which burn quite well. But soap and water are fine too but I use liquid soap bought in Thamel.

When I get to a village early I wash socks and underwear and hope they dry in time. Drying can be a problem so I need to find a warm rock somewhere and do some birding.

yakshaver
24th October 2008, 10:04 AM
I am with RRainey and Suginami. December is my favourite month to trek.

The air is so clear, and mostly there is that dry late autumn feel. And as most of the trekking is usually around 3000-3500m, with just a few days above 4000m altitude, the weathter is just ideal for me. I can easily put up with three or four cold nights.

If you have good warm clothing and a very good sleeping bag (never be thrifty with these...) it is quite bearable.

julia
24th October 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Kiwigirl

Unless you really hate the cold, I would still go in Dec if that is your plan.

I agree with Yashaver, that time of year is nice. As long as you are wrapped up then it shouldn't be a problem. As soon as you drop down again, it gets warmer, and having a wash isn't then such hard work.

I would much rather be there in cooler weather than hot, walking in the heat is such hard work. And yes I agree with Mr RRainey, it is all about mental attitude! When it was the Thorung La pass day, there were times when I really wanted to just sit there and give up, but you just keep going don't you.

:)

Spaceman347
24th October 2008, 03:11 PM
The cold is the best bit :cool:

It's fine as long as you have good quality gear, it's the Himalaya, it's supposed to be cold.

Suginami
24th October 2008, 07:11 PM
So I need red hot marino blanket underwear. It funny that my local Uniqlo which has almost all one could need has no fleecy undies. Or maybe I have not looked close enough.

Landfall38
24th October 2008, 09:20 PM
Amazing how much "life" this thread has....

In recognition of thread and in keeping with the identifier format of posters such as Julia and Escher, I've changed my identifier to "Likes Wet Ones" ....:D

julia
24th October 2008, 10:34 PM
Amazing how much "life" this thread has....

In recognition of thread and in keeping with the identifier format of posters such as Julia and Escher, I've changed my identifier to "Likes Wet Ones" ....:D

Cheeky! :D :D :p

Sharon
24th October 2008, 10:58 PM
I might change mine to "What did we do before wet ones?"
ON the last tea house trek I did in the Sabctuary I made myself use the wet ones constantly- after touching door knobs etc and I di not get the grunge. Before tea house trekking I always got a grunge for a few days but never when camping style trekking. Camping style they always had soap and hot water for us.

Suginami
25th October 2008, 05:46 AM
Thats a really good point Sharon. The hands mouth body connection is the culprit. Interesting that the campy style was safer but it makes sense.

Rigorous but not hysterical hygiene is really important.

I am booked and ready to go on Jan 4th and my niece is coming over from the UK for the first time to Nepal so it will be fun showing her around but I don't want her to get the grunge. So wet wipes will be high on the list. I also take throat sweets from Japan to guard against throat problems and bacteria and I give the sweets to old ladies along the trek.

deserteyes
25th October 2008, 02:15 PM
The grunge? What's that?

kiwigirl
25th October 2008, 02:57 PM
yep me too . ..what is the grunge!! Tell all!:)

The grunge? What's that?

Landfall38
27th October 2008, 08:33 PM
Is that the long green stuff that comes out of the nose and lungs (so prevalent while trekking in Nepal) ...?:eek:

Sharon
28th October 2008, 07:56 PM
It's a Whistler thing- we all call it the grunge. Whatever nasty cold flu bug going around for the season that has any combination of- hacking cough, sore throat, stuffed head, aching body. The strength of which depends on how hard you are skiing, partying, working.
Actually I haven't really gotten it since I get flu shots. Or wait maybe I don't get it anymore as I don't ski at 8:30 am, work the afternoon and then close the bar with copious amounts of alcohol. Get up and do it all over again.:eek:

Landfall38
28th October 2008, 11:51 PM
It's a Whistler thing- ... Or wait maybe I don't get it anymore as I don't ski at 8:30 am, work the afternoon and then close the bar with copious amounts of alcohol. Get up and do it all over again.:eek:

Oh yeah, I did that way back in 1974-75 when I lived up at Whistler....
I thought it was a 90s music phase from Seattle?:)

What's this all to do with "best underwear" (unless you mean THAT kind of grunge?):confused:

Suginami
30th October 2008, 02:56 PM
Its that kind of grunge. The stuff that falls out the other end. Like up all night in Gorapani after a mistaken apple pie and icecream. That's why its good to have a really good strong torch.

Lovely

Landfall38
31st October 2008, 02:03 AM
Its that kind of grunge. The stuff that falls out the other end. Like up all night in Gorapani after a mistaken apple pie and icecream. That's why its good to have a really good strong torch.

Lovely

... and some Wet Ones!

kiwigirl
31st October 2008, 02:57 AM
In Namche in May I took my porter out to the Bakery for afternoon tea for what I thought was a treat and we both orderd apple pie and cream. He ate a quarter of his pie before finding a huge dead fly inside. it really was huge!
My reaction wasnt that great, I wanted them to apologise to my porter and they wouldn't . .. .I got a bit cross with them........they did eventually apologise to my porter and gave him a free cup of coffee . .I feel bad because I did give them a real stir up but hopefully they will be more careful. They will just lose customers if people get sick. It was quiet when were there, very few tourists in Namche.

Roll on the wet ones! :)

Lovely

RRainey
31st October 2008, 05:34 AM
Can we vote this thread the most disgusting of the year?

yakshaver
31st October 2008, 04:46 PM
Cheeky! :D :D :p

I like them on the lips too... but on the cheeks is also ok.

Landfall38
31st October 2008, 06:51 PM

but not to be confused with the other, unpleasant, kind of wet ones, where you just didn't quite make it in time :eek: (ahhhh, travel in Asia....)

hmmm, wonder what's the "Best underwear" for that? (Back on topic?)

julia
31st October 2008, 10:28 PM

Yep, I agree, on the cheeks and lips are fine, in fact anywhere really, depending on the wet ones of course. Some are a bit rough, nice soft ones are the best. :)

Suginami
1st November 2008, 05:23 AM
Whatever happened to longjohns? I guess they might stink too much and be too much trouble to wash.

I hope I don't get a fly in my cake. But apple pie in Gorapani did me in and the South African woman I met. Glad I had a nice big torch to find my way outside and down the long path full of wobbly stones to the throne.

yakshaver
1st November 2008, 06:18 PM
Whatever happened to longjohns? I guess they might stink too much and be too much trouble to wash.

I hope I don't get a fly in my cake. But apple pie in Gorapani did me in and the South African woman I met. Glad I had a nice big torch to find my way outside and down the long path full of wobbly stones to the throne.

First, longjohns, I use them for pijama pants at night anywhere above Namche or Manang etc. Rarely if ever during the day, even on -20C.

Secondly, you really worry me somethimes Sugi... The fly in the cake, the apple pie, and the South African woman. I see the start of an intriguing travel novel, but I hope you're not serious.

julia
1st November 2008, 09:08 PM
I hope I don't get a fly in my cake. But apple pie in Gorapani did me in and the South African woman I met.

That is very funny. :)

I was in a lodge when a horrible looking bug ran across my pillow, just before I was going to get into my sleeping bag. I screamed, I probably woke the whole lodge up, maybe even the whole village :eek: , I could not sleep all night for fear there may be more in the wood work, or the same one would come back and crawl across my face. I laid on my bed with my head torch on all night so I could see and jump out of its path, eventually I must have fallen asleep. At least the fly in the fly in the apple pie was dead, or was it?

I can't bear creepy crawlies.

yakshaver
2nd November 2008, 12:47 AM
Regarding insects, I usually have a good insect repellent with me, more on account of going to Chitwan, than for trekking. So if the incident Julia describes were to happen, I would use the poison on my skin and hopefully sleep ok.

kiwigirl
2nd November 2008, 02:08 AM
there is one called Bushman Plus which seems to be a good one. mosquitoes , sandflies, ticks and leeches, I presume if it scares leeches it should be good enough for anything ! Forgot to take it with me last Christmas to Binna Burra in Australia and had a bad time with leeches, we had to run out of the bush!:o even then while we were running they still got us :o
I had my 17 year old niece with me from NZ and she really freaked out :o

Regarding insects, I usually have a good insect repellent with me, more on account of going to Chitwan, than for trekking. So if the incident Julia describes were to happen, I would use the poison on my skin and hopefully sleep ok.

Suginami
2nd November 2008, 03:46 AM
Well I like bugs, they fascinate me. I walloped a big hairy spider in Costa Rica because that was too much. But I hit it with a big wellington boot and the sound was very mushy. They told me later there are always spiders around the place. It wasn't a tarantula as I would never kill one of them.

Kiwigirl said she had a fly in her apple pie.

I may have another look at longjohns. I want red, white might show off the skid marks too much.

I wonder what was the bug Julia saw. Maybe a bedbug. They tend to bite you in the crotch and leave big red sores. Another reason to have well fitting underwear.

Maybe Sharon wears bloomers.

kiwigirl
2nd November 2008, 06:26 AM
this is getting hilarious :D

the people in the cabin next to ours at Bina Burra, the children saw black fat grub like creatures crawling out under the door, and asked their dad what they were. when their Dad noticed his stomach was bleeding he realised they were leeches and had fed on his stomach during the night UGH!!

thanks to Sugomami's post I plan to wear long johns to bed :o

Well I like bugs, they fascinate me. I walloped a big hairy spider in Costa Rica because that was too much. But I hit it with a big wellington boot and the sound was very mushy. They told me later there are always spiders around the place. It wasn't a tarantula as I would never kill one of them.

Kiwigirl said she had a fly in her apple pie.

I may have another look at longjohns. I want red, white might show off the skid marks too much.

I wonder what was the bug Julia saw. Maybe a bedbug. They tend to bite you in the crotch and leave big red sores. Another reason to have well fitting underwear.

deserteyes
2nd November 2008, 04:20 PM

Suginami, you're quite the style guru... but skid marks???:confused:

I now see why you posted a thread about best underwear in the safety section. :-)

julia
2nd November 2008, 06:44 PM
Im pretty sure the bug was a cockroach, which is why I kept my torch on all night, I felt that as soon as I turned off the light it would come back with all its mates, as they usually like to be in a crowd! I think they dont like the light.

I could never kill a bug, particulary spiders, I can't bear the thought of it's body going squish! errggh.

Suginami
2nd November 2008, 07:31 PM
I never would clobber a spider again but I couldn't sleep and was worried about crawlies on the face.

Some people think that underwear is not a sensible topic but this is a serious error. Along with socks and cream they must be properly considered and advice is necessary. Its the details which count. The essential part of this whole board is to make people think deeply about all aspects of trekking in order to make the most of it.

Socks are another serious issue. I live in a country where marathon running is popular and socks are a major purchase for them.

Facecream in Thamel is really good these days.

kiwigirl
3rd November 2008, 01:03 AM
I could be wrong but I think cockroaches dont like the cold either. I would definetly scream if a cockroach walked on my face:eek:

Im pretty sure the bug was a cockroach, which is why I kept my torch on all night, I felt that as soon as I turned off the light it would come back with all its mates, as they usually like to be in a crowd! I think they dont like the light.

I could never kill a bug, particulary spiders, I can't bear the thought of it's body going squish! errggh.

Landfall38
3rd November 2008, 02:50 AM
talking about spiders... it having just been Halloween etc

last year in Ghermu (early on the AC), my wife woke up to a 7-cm wide (including legs) spider sharing her pillow. nice and warm I guess....

(while trekking, you may have seen these spiders in lodges high up in the rafters or those gigantic webs on large bushes outside)

Locals said "only nice spiders", but then again, back in 2002 in Thamel we heard a loud "thump" -- we said "oh oh, a bomb" but locals immed said "no no no -- just an electrical transformer going off" -- yes, it was a bomb (same building as the ACAP permit office).

so I am not sure about them being "only nice spiders"....

Landfall38
3rd November 2008, 02:53 AM

Oh Sharon, where are you? Sugi is wondering about your underwear ;)

Sharon
3rd November 2008, 03:32 AM
I take nylon. Easy to wash and dry quickly. For sleeping I like my icebreaker t neck and flannel PJ bottoms. I have some leopard print ones and I wore my sleepwear outfit :eek: while shopping in Sybaru bensi.

Suginami
3rd November 2008, 05:31 AM
Leopard print is really hot.

I have 2 months to lose weight, do daily training and choose new underwear socks and other bits. Amazon is quite good these days. So I check out the stuff in the stores and order from Amazon.

I also have a huge Uniqlo near me which just reopened but hobbit sizes.

I am thinking of all black for this years trek with an unwilling neice. I had never considered nylon before but like you say much quicker to wash and dry. Esp. rayon made in Japan.

deserteyes
16th November 2008, 07:03 PM
What, is this thread dead now? Gosh, and I was learning so much about all sorts of things in this thread.

How did you come to be lumbered with an unwilling niece Suginami? You've mentioned her (as the unwilling one) about three times or more now, can't help but ask.

Landfall38
17th November 2008, 10:16 AM
thread not yet dead... it just takes time to wash the underwear fully...

marcy
17th November 2008, 10:22 AM
In Dec 2005, I was looking forward to wearing clean undies and sox (and clothes!) for my Lukla to KTM flight. I slept that night in my warm sleeping thermals (black expedition weight Patagonia Capalene thermals) and in the morning just threw a down jacket over while I briefly went to the dining room to ask if the flights were going. The lodge owner assured me that due to the weather, it would be a long time before the first flight left, handed me morning tea, and told me to sit by the fire for awhile and warm up before going back to my room. 5 minutes later, her husband came running in from the airport with my guide. Clouds had suddenly cleared and flights were leaving. "Didi - leaving now" they insisted. No time, they said, to change clothes or add clothes. So... off it was around the corner to the airport. As we waited for the flight, my guide (previously a monk for 13 years) noticed that my pants were black rather than the grey trek pants I had worn each day for a month. "Didi -new trouser?" He asked. "No bai... long underwear." He considered a moment: "Okay, look like trousers." And with that we boarded our yeti flight and were off to kathmandu -- in my underwear. Me hoping to quickly check into my hotel, shower and change before I could be spotted. On arrival at KTM GH, the guesthouse needed a few minutes to get my room together. During that time (standing there in my underwear) I must've run into 30-50 people I knew. love my Patagonia capelene thermies as well as my REI midweight thermal zip tees.

Suginami
17th November 2008, 02:26 PM
I love the way during a trek clothing becomes such a changeable item. Men wearing head bands, girls wearing long skirts and just kind of go with the flow. You root through your bag and suddenly item X becomes your favourite thing for the trek. Some special t shirt that zips up the neck or a great fleece or big bloomers.

kiwigirl
17th November 2008, 02:30 PM
I love the way during a trek clothing becomes such a changeable item. Men wearing head bands, girls wearing long skirts and just kind of go with the flow. You root through your bag and suddenly item X becomes your favourite thing for the trek. Some special t shirt that zips up the neck or a great fleece or big bloomers.

would love to see a photo of the big bloomers :)

Oli
18th November 2008, 02:02 AM
would love to see a photo of the big bloomers
ahhh.... perhaps you mean the rhododendron? They flower in the spring, and make the forests around Ghorepani look wonderful.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2422814461_83332ddb3e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/a-ni-za/2422814461/)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/476612409_a9d1cb4796.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambarbriastuti/476612409/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2055/2423636554_a71e5cc1e1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/a-ni-za/2423636554/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2558109414_c1cdf0916f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bggrizzard/2558109414/)

ps: excuse the gratuitous image post, but they are rather nice and make a refreshing change from reading about peoples choices of undies

Sharon
18th November 2008, 04:41 AM
I have to say my favourite interchangeable item is always wearing my PJ bottoms around the Village. I'd never do that at home or even in Thamel.
The one drawback of Fall trekking is missing the blooms. I did the one trek in May in Ganesh Himal and saw the rhododendrons blooming. Unlimited colours it seems. Course the downside is the monsoons and the leeches.

Suginami
18th November 2008, 06:38 AM
I notice that only the men are embarrassed to talk about underwear. The women love it. It just tells you who does their laundry more often. Oli:s bloomers are really cool

Landfall38
18th November 2008, 10:50 AM
Well I'm not embarrassed to talk about underwear!

But on another topic, when visiting the Great Wall last year, I came across just the sort of "sitter" we oldmen (you know who you are...) need:

[Not as pretty as the bloomers...]327

Suginami
18th November 2008, 10:54 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:THIh7EXSDhonVM:http://www.lainaline.com/long_white_lace_bloomers2.JPG (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lainaline.com/long_white_lace_bloomers2.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.lainaline.com/girls_bloomers.htm&usg=__LqpMeuWNCGnP_EPmqxBJDHJKVNs=&h=960&w=739&sz=162&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=THIh7EXSDhonVM:&tbnh=148&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbig%2Bbloomers%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DG)

This is the kind I wanna wear. I love the old man squat picture

kiwigirl
18th November 2008, 11:00 AM
I notice that only the men are embarrassed to talk about underwear. The women love it. It just tells you who does their laundry more often. Oli:s bloomers are really cool

seems to be the case :D

Oli:s bloomers are definetly really cool :D

Suginami
23rd January 2009, 12:41 PM
Great news on the underwear front. Jockey shorts!! Yes, I had never realised that the extra air and freedom is much better than tight clinging merinos. Not as warm but more hygenic and much less of a skid problem. Jockeys were my favourite this time.

No worries of rot etc. And, they dry quickly even on a hot water bottle. Only slight problem would be the waist band if they dig too much. So I tucked my t-shirt in side not as bad as John Major but it prevented chaffing.

I did not trek but I did a lot of walking.

julia
23rd January 2009, 01:46 PM
Are you back home now Sugi, or still in Nepal? Did you take any photos?

Glad you found your undies comfy!

ritchie
31st October 2009, 05:15 AM
Defo Ice breaker marino wool underwear-took 2 pairs on a month trek around the Annapurna circuit last year, very comfy and no chaffing etc. It also minimised on washing (unlike other members of the group who were constantly washing several pairs of underwear everyday)

Regarding the bugs and creepy crawlies, the only thing i hated (as we were camping) was doing the 'spider check' before i went to sleep,particularly as i'm completely phobic

Also a bowl of hot water was more than enough for washing, funnily enough those who had showers (some of them on a daily basis) seemed to get illmore often.

yakshaver
31st October 2009, 06:47 AM
My bag is full of Icebreaker, and Earth Sea Sky underwear. Need them for Manaslu. Wish Luis Vuitton would make trekking underwear.

TrekkerMan
9th November 2009, 08:16 AM
Hi All,

Has anyone tried using Skins?:confused:

I have used them on numerious hot climate treks and found them wonderful,no smell after a week and extremely comfortable.

Spaceman347
9th November 2009, 12:18 PM
I think that Skins is an Australian company, for the benefit of those OS they are sports compression clothing. The most popular varieties are full length tights but I actually prefer the shorts (think bike shorts without the chamois) as I can't get the tights to stay up for some reason :confused:

I can't see why they wouldn't work just fine, they also serve to "lift and firm" the gluteus maximus region which will ensure that you're looking at your finest out there on the trail. :cool:

Petrus
18th November 2009, 11:05 AM
I can not wear tight underwear or powerstretch legginses for long periods as the skin in my crotch starts to break and smell alarmingly bad. I found this out the hard way after walking in legginses (balet dancer style) for a week or so. Had to use disinfectant and air the offending parts in the tent at night...

Hope this is not to personal, but I thing I just sweat a bit too much for that kind of underwear. So now I just use fairly loose cotton boxers and in the evenings relax in a Macabi skirt (like the scotsmen do).