PDA

View Full Version : What kindda boots?

Parsifal
29th August 2004, 11:41 PM
I am planning a trip to EBC for next year (fall 2005); some say I will need plastic boots, some say a pair of running shoes is ok. Can anyone give me advice? Goretex, Leather, stiff sole, light weigh, even a brand name would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oli
1st September 2004, 04:04 AM
Namaste Parsifal,

Your boots will be an important decision, so choose carefully. Plastic climbing boots will be too rigid and uncomfortable, but trainers would provide inadequate protection on rock, ice or in snow. Either gortex or leather boots would be ideal, but there is no obvious choice between the two. The important thing is to get some boots that are both sturdy and comfortable, and I'd emphasise the comfort factor. Visit your local outdoor shops and try some on, ask for advice from the retailer - they tend to be quite helpful. Compromise on price and style but buy the boots that seem to 'fit' your needs.
A year should be more than enough time to break them in whilst you walk in the hills and look forward to wearing them in the mountains..... *sigh*

off2nepal
21st September 2004, 04:12 AM
Parsifal,
I second what Oli is saying. Your boots will be one of the singlemost important items you consider. They must fit. With the amount of walking you will be doing, fit is critical. Visit your local retailers. They are very helpful and will guide you the right way.

Good luck!

Namaste!