PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong -12 hour layover

marcy
26th September 2008, 04:49 AM
Travelling USA-KTM via HK. Cathay Pacific arrives around 6:30 am. My dragonair flight does not continue on til 6pm-ish. Suggestions would be welcome for how to spend my day (keeping in mind I dont tend to sleep much on the flight out to Asia so will be kinda tired). Would lantau and the buddha be a good idea? The pay-in airport lounge and just vegitate?

Enroute back I have about 1 1/2 days in HK so figure I will stay in Kowloon and do the usual star ferry, victoria peak, evening markets and so forth.

Also, on the way home, given that I arrive HK Sat AM and depart for US Sunday afternoon, would it still be possible to check my bags all the way through from Kathmandu to USA? I'd hate to have to schlep them around HK or pay for baggage storage at the airport if not necessary to do so. I figure a daypack with a change of clothes and toothbrush is all I will need.

RRainey
26th September 2008, 05:14 AM
Assuming I was not flying business class I would get a room in an adjacent hotel and crash!

I am doing this on my return through Bangkok. cheap place close to the airport.

Sharon
26th September 2008, 05:31 AM
Go out to Stanley market, enjoy some time on the beach by the market. Take a yoga class at Pure Yoga. Visit some of the food and fish markets. Last Fall I took transit out to Sai Kung and did a hike to some quiet beaches.
Take a ferry to lama Island from Aberdeen. I love killing time in Hong Kong!

Lisa
30th September 2008, 09:24 PM
I visited HK in april and I recommend lantau island and the big buddha. The cable ride was interesting and you can see a bit of the trekking trail in this island. Not far from the big buddha is a fishing village called DA AO. At Da Ao, you can join a dolphin watching tour or just walked around the little fishing village. The bus ride was interesting too on the way back to the MTR station from DA AO on some windy road.
Not far from Lantau MTR station was a duty free shopping mall. Happy shopping!
Travelling on ferry and their minibuses is something i enjoyed very much while in hk.:D

Suginami
1st October 2008, 06:32 AM
Go up Victoria Peak, see the view, have a nice lunch and back to the airport

Pokke
21st October 2008, 02:30 PM
Dragon Air should be able to check your bags all the way to the U.S., since you are taking Cathay from HK - they should do it. Its fun to handout in HK - shop, Shops and Shop to Eat, eat. However, things are geting a bit expensive now. 1 and 1/2 day - just adequate time to laze in HK.:D