PDA

View Full Version : How much?

tfrank
18th September 2008, 08:37 AM
Hi evrybody!
If i use a porter-guide how much will he carry for me 15- 20kg?
Trying to find out how many porters we need for a family of four.
Thanks

James
18th September 2008, 09:54 AM
Tfrank,
Our family of four (including two teenaged boys) had two porters for an EBC tea house trek and were fine. I don't remember how much our porter bags weighed, but it was easy to stay under the suggested weights. If you will be camping or plan to have a porter carry a young child, then you will need more.

James

Petrus
18th September 2008, 03:33 PM
There is some sort of rule of 30 kg payload per porter, 20 kg when above 5 km. Our porters have not dumped part of their loads at 5000m, though (they want bakshees, not make trouble...). Remember that non-tourist porters carry 80 kg on the average, trekker porters have it quite easy. Summa summarum: one porter per two teahouse trekkers.

yakshaver
19th September 2008, 03:53 PM
Hi evrybody!
If i use a porter-guide how much will he carry for me 15- 20kg?
Trying to find out how many porters we need for a family of four.
Thanks

I would suggest two porters for four people. You should not, as a general rule, load one porter with more than 20 kg. So a max of 10kg load per person, which for a tea-house/lodge trek is a lot more than enough.

I have used this formula for a number of treks when I went in small groups, including my last Gokyo trek in Jan 08, when we had 4 porters for a group of eight tourists. The maximum weight was about 18 kg and the minumum just over 16 kg for a porter load.

kiwigirl
10th October 2008, 04:21 PM
I agree with Yakshaver. no more then 20kg for one porter. :)

I would suggest two porters for four people. You should not, as a general rule, load one porter with more than 20 kg. So a max of 10kg load per person, which for a tea-house/lodge trek is a lot more than enough.

I have used this formula for a number of treks when I went in small groups, including my last Gokyo trek in Jan 08, when we had 4 porters for a group of eight tourists. The maximum weight was about 18 kg and the minumum just over 16 kg for a porter load.