PDA

View Full Version : Petrol problems

jasonthebleep
17th September 2008, 06:15 AM
There have been some news articles in the UK press about problems with Nepalese imports of fuel.
Obviously these could have a disasterous effect upon tourism which can be heavily reliant upon people getting to the places that they want to go.

Now whilst airliners etc may have secured their own fuel supplies, does anyone know if there has been any effect upon tourism yet?
This is not an altruistic request for information of course - thinking of doing the AC in January. (Brrrr - cold, I know!)

Boulia
17th September 2008, 08:58 AM
I read a Nepal news article recently that the new Government had released some additional financial support to the NOC. The article was claiming this would relieve some of the supply issues as NOC would be able to pay some of their back debts. Maybe the PMs just completed India visit will help too. Have not read or heard of any flight cancellations from lack of fuel and don't expect any for my trip in 5 weeks time.

Escher
17th September 2008, 12:17 PM
It's been going on for ages. The Nepali traders are often in debt to the Indian gas suppliers and they stop shipments coming through. Last Spring this was compounded by pre-election protests in the south blockading the trunk routes, which resulted in huge queues at petrol stations and little traffic on certain days. It still didn't stop us getting about. We spoke to taxi drivers and arranged with them what we wanted to do (Pokhara to Besisahar for instance) and they made sure they got some fuel (by queueing for several hours) and we paid them extra for their trouble. I don't think everything will grind to a complete halt and there is always a way to get where you want to go. Personally I wouldn't worry. In my opinion it is not going to/having a disasterous affect on tourism.

Suginami
18th September 2008, 08:27 AM
I did a long road trip last December and in January and we were fine all the way. But I guess things could change easily.
Its a nice drive from Pokara to Lumbini, very scenic and Lumbini was a great place to relax and have some quiet time. Amazing birding.