PDA

View Full Version : Rolwaling

Escher
22nd August 2008, 02:34 PM
I am trying to research some of the less travelled treks and would be grateful for any extra information anyone has for me. What I am looking for are treks that are not purely camping and should not need a full-blown crew. Somewhere undeveloped offering basic bhattis/tea houses for some of the trek with a challenging goal (high pass/peak/exploration) thrown in for a bit of adventure. I am happy to carry some stuff myself as personally more gear than a stove, tent/bivvy, mat and some food shouldn't be needed. I am looking for information as to whether axe, boots, crampons are required; how many nights camping, whether there are huts/shelters at camping spots so bivvying is an option and so on. I guess information will be scarce but I intend to keep this thread going so we can pool our knowledge here.

I know much of this information can be gleaned from guide books but I think some areas are starting to develop so it will help me a lot if anyone has more recent information.

I am also looking to compile a list of these treks, at the moment I have:-

Rolwaling and Trashi Labtsa
Kangchenjunga North and South BC
Makalu and Amphu Labtsa
Ganesh Himal
Manaslu Circuit
Jugal Himal
And whatever else anyone can think of

I'll start with Rolwaling & Traschi Labtsa (Teschi Lapcha sp???)

I understand the best route starts from Dolkha and to head anti-clockwise over the pass and into Khumbu.

How many days camping up to the pass?
Can you get to a tea house straight after the pass or is another day's camping required?
I assume the pass is glaciated, how much fixed rope is required for the porters?
Is there a glacier approach either side of the pass? Need axe and crampons?
The La is quite high, what are the acclimatisation stages up to it?
I understand you need a peak permit for Parchamo, but it is refundable upon return to Kathmandu, is this true?
Which maps are best?

Interestingly this link (http://rolwaling.tripod.com/) states that basic tea house trekking might be possible in the region? Any ideas on this?

Other resources:-
wikipaedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolwaling_Himal)

http://www.ecohimal.org/english/rolwaling_e.htm

Rolwaling expedition (http://www.caingram.info/Articles/rolwaling.htm)

Oli
22nd August 2008, 05:01 PM
Sharon will be able to tell you about Rolwaling, Trashi Labtsa & Manaslu

I'll write a wiki page on Kanchenjunga ;)

Sharon
22nd August 2008, 10:58 PM
I will dig out my notes on Ganesh Himal, Rolwaling and Manaslu.

Escher
22nd August 2008, 11:15 PM
I've updated the links above, they were duff. The first one is especially interesting and worth a read.

Escher
22nd August 2008, 11:28 PM
In fact this (http://rolwaling.tripod.com/getting-there.html) is very interesting. I think I will have to do this trek soon.

Sharon
23rd August 2008, 03:56 AM
I did Manaslu in 2003. This would be quite easy to do as you are suggesting. There is a yak Kharka the night before crossing and it is a comfortable walk compared to some of these other treks. WE didn't make it to a Village that night but we had 2 ill sherpas. There are even more tea houses being built on the trek since 2003. At that time they were very rough teahouses.
Rolwaling was definitley the most challenging and I was in good shape that year.
Dolka to Singati Bazaar.
Singati to Jagat
Jagat to Simigaon
Simagaon to Gyalcha
Gyalcha to beding
Beding to Na
Rest day in na
Na had some tea houses that were quite nice. Lots of climbers around. WE also visited the Dong Monastery
Na acclimazatation walk to Duht Pokari was a good day trip. 3 hours up and 2 down
Na to Chhu
Chhu to base camp
Base camp across Trashi Lapka to Base camp
Base camp to Thame
Camped at Apa Sherpa's tea house here. Heard all about his summits. I think he was at 15 then.
Thame to Namchee Bazaar
Chhu to base camp was an exhausting day. Chhu was a bit of an oasis. Tucked under some large boulders two did had a little tea house with beers etc. A nice surprise as I was expecting nothing. My understand was that they came up from Beding when they saw groups going through.
Heading to base camp was relentless glacier boulder walking. donw in a warm spot and up into frezzing air. Eight very hard hours. My hardest day ever in Nepal. Base camp is a boulderfield and we had no toilet tent up and were wspread around trying to find little flat spots.

WE were on the way at 4 am. It is glacier walking but "nice" glacier walking. Not the rubble strewn boulder field of the day before. Did I say some boulders were like Volkswagon beetles?
WE did have crampons and etc. There was nice fresh snow and a good path up the pass so I didn't use the crampons or ice ax. It would depend on your comfort level. I felt very comfortable and wished I could ski it. I ma sure at some times you would use the ice axe and crampons. The sherpas did have a bit of trouble and the climbing sirdar used his crampons.
WE used fixed rope in three places but very short pitches maybe 50 feet. The real danger is crossing late and the rock fall from up above. A porter was killed in anothe rgroup. I had a helmet but that wouldn't have stopped these boulders from injuring you.
I was exhausted and sun stroke that afternoon. Toughest two days in Nepal ever. WE stopped at 3:45 at base camp.
I wish I was in that shape today!
I have to saythat the glaciers and mountains on the day crossing Trashi lapka are spectacular. They go forever.

Sharon
23rd August 2008, 05:28 AM
Did I say boulders? Course there is no trail either so you are just picking your way through...

Sharon
23rd August 2008, 05:36 AM

kegarne
23rd August 2008, 07:50 AM
You can definitely tea house Rolwaling from Dolaghat. Sharon outlines it perfectly above....there are basic tea houses up to Na.
An extra bit of advice from me - try to do this trek in the Autumn. I went in March and got totally snowed out.

kegarne
23rd August 2008, 07:56 AM
Sorry about that before - I will try this...

Sharon
23rd August 2008, 08:11 PM
Ganesh Himal

300Ganesh Himal
Sybaru Bensi to Chaurhattor for lunch and Gothen by Paribatha Kunda
Spent the night in old army barracks here
Gothen to Yuri Kharka
Yuri Kharka to Somdong
Somdong to Paigutang Kharka
Rhododehdron forests and nice pools/ falls to wash in
Paigutang Kharka to Paldur base camp
Paigutang Kharka to Somdong
Somdong over Pansnag La to Narchet Kharka
Narchet Kharka to Sertung
Sertung to Paticho
Paticho to Pati Bradi
Pati Bradi to Deurali
Deurali to Trisuli and on to Galchi on the Kathamdu Pokhara highway
This was a 50 km day due to the maoists
Amazing walk with locakls to Galchhi

4700 meters the high point. Amazing cultural trek. Didn't meet any trekkers in the whole trip until back in Kathmandu

Escher
26th August 2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks ever so much Sharon - some great information in there - definitely have a plan coming together now for the next trip.

Nice pics too - thanks both.

Boulia
27th August 2008, 01:13 AM
Great idea for a thread. I will add a post on my Kanchenjunga trek on my return in November. I am doing it mostly relying on whatever teahouses I can use but will have some camping gear to back up as i would like to have the option to stay at the higher altitudes.

Oli
27th August 2008, 02:45 AM
I'm also loving this thread :)

I was wondering what to post re Kanchenjunga, but I've already posted notes in this (http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196) thread. If you've any more questions on that then please ask.

Should keep this focused on Rolwaling as it says in the thread subject line? Do Manaslu and those other treks deserve their own threads? And/or a couple of others to add to the list of the more remote trails - Naa-Phu (maybe combined with Manaslu?) and Dolpa.

If you have a guide, are prepared to rough it (dhal bhat every meal) and have the time and patience then I think you could get just about anywhere in Nepal by the proposed means.

kegarne
27th August 2008, 08:29 AM
Gauri Sankar from just below Dolagahat...

Oli
25th September 2008, 12:37 AM
Manaslu Circuit

Useful post from duploboy here (http://www.trekinfo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39546&postcount=14)

Suginami
22nd November 2008, 04:51 AM
You should do all the mountains that begin with M. How about Makalu Base Camp

Ging
3rd December 2009, 04:13 PM
Namaste!

********The Himalayan times********************************************* ****************

In yet another development, the Cabinet today decided to declare two more conservation areas Gaurishanker Conservation Area (2,035 sq km) in Dolakha and Ramechhap, and Api Nampa (1,900 sq km) in Darchula district, said Shanker Pokharel, Minister for Information and Communications.

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullTodays.php?headline=Govt+gives+new+lease+for+C NP+hotels&id=MTk3MzU1

************************************************** *************************************

Kikitardzuak
14th December 2012, 08:31 AM
Theshi Labtsa pass can be quite hard. The approach is over a short glacier and then you need to climb up a short but steep rock wall to gain the upper glacier access point. From that access point (5000m) is it a long way to the bottom of the pass. If I was to do it again, I would camp at the bottom of the pass. The pass has a lot of deep and dangerous crevasses. Of course, the crew is not roped and it would not take much for an accident. Any crevasse fall would be very serious. The pass itself is flat. The descent is hard to find in the snow but not difficult. The major issues are: distance from the west bottom of the pass to the top (difficult to go back if altitude sickness strikes), serious crevasses, difficulty of rescue of required due to the terrain. The hike up the valley is easy and pleasant.