PDA

View Full Version : Water purification with SteriPen?

agatap
9th February 2008, 11:17 PM
Has anybode experience with purifying water by the use of a SteriPen?
It is supposed to sterilize water by the means of UV lightning, compact, ease to carry ... almost to good to be true ...
I don't love the taste of iodine tablets, but will bring some anyway for emergency. But I am seriously considering purchasing this fancy SteriPen.

Here is a link to their product page: http://www.steripen.com/index.html

kolobar
10th February 2008, 02:39 AM
You dont have to worry about iodine taste. All over Thamel you can buy PureAqua (?) pills - one set for sterilizing water, another to neutralize taste&color.
It is an emergency solution for AC if you run out of water from water stations and it is a cheap&easy way out if you want to avoid buying bottled or boiled water anywhere else including Solu&Khumbu.

Spaceman347
10th February 2008, 05:47 AM
I have a friend who has one and he says that he swears by it, internet reviews also seem favourable. The thing that concerns me is that they are battery powered (what do you do if the batteries go flat?) and must have some kind of electronics in them which may break. A good point is that they are more or less instant as opposed to the many forms of tablet/liquid which take from 15mins to 4hrs.

Traditionally I have used micropur (Chlorine Dioxide) tabs, as an emergency backup, Aqua Mira is also good and much less taste than iodine. I believe that most (or all) towns along the AC have a water treatment plant where you can get clean water. This is not necessarily the case in the Khumbu although the water in Namche is said to be fine straight from the tap.

In short: they do seem to work fine (and fast) however they are expensive and may potentially break (In which case you could probably just buy boiled water for the duration of the trip).....

Sharon
10th February 2008, 07:26 AM
Just take Pristine orm whatever the US equivalent is called. WWW.mec.ca
No taset. workd well I have used it on 7 treks as well as back packing in North America

Lars
10th February 2008, 06:30 PM
On a recent trek in the Annapurnas I came to know two guys who were
experienced trekkers and and now carried SteriPens. They were very
pleased with them.

The models they had were somewhat bulky, abt 5 cm dia. But they said
there are now thinner ones.

I do not know what kind of batteries they take, but if it is ordinary AA you
can find them in practically every village.

Hopefully these pens can put an end to trekkers demanding water being
boiled for them, and save some trees.

James
10th February 2008, 07:21 PM
I met a couple of guys using SteriPens in Lobuche. They had rechargeable batteries and would also filter if there were too many particles floating around. They had traveled from India and had no problems until that day where their batteries had lost their charge. I shared some Aquamira drops and they hoped to recharge in Gorkashep that night $$$. Say what you will about the drops and tablets, but aside from the short wait time - they're light, small, always work and no toxic waste from batteries.

agatap
11th February 2008, 10:49 PM
Thank you for your input!
As I understand the matters, a sideeffect of using the tablets is that some toxic waste goes inside you, which is not to healthy to the system.
So the SteriPen seems to me like a very ecological alternative, even considerin you have to bring spare AA batteries, that probably produces less harm than using energy on boiling water high in the mountains.
And besides, I figured that I can use it on other adventures, too ... not only the Himalaya tea house treks ... ROI, you know ...

I am very happy to hear that other trekkers found the device usefull - I will try it out on myself for my trek next month!

Best,
Agata